Friday, June 22, 2012

What a difference a day makes...

Thursday...

When you wake up late the walk is more a "hustle" (I do not run). I know I cannot oversleep on a work day, but sometimes I do. And DH "thinks I need the sleep" and does not wake me. We did "hustle" down the road just long enough to stretch our legs and note a couple of lounging cats (at the house where an elderly gentleman appears to feed a goodly percentage of the neighborhood cats) and two woman power walking back and forth on our street.

The mopey looks I received from Snuffalous Scruffalous and Padimus Maximus will likely shame me into an evening walk.We have a busy weekend again and our routine will, of necessity, suffer. [I suspect the middle-aged woman has a harder time with these changes than the pups do...]

Later...oh, shame again! At evening walk time I found myself having to run to work to pick up the eggs (one of my coworkers has chickens!) I left on the desk. Somehow I knew I did not want to find them waiting for me on Monday morning.

I drove home past the park and saw deer along the edge of the woods and then walking to the creek.

Dogs are not happy with me.

Friday a.m.

Ah, some Friday mornings I bless the summer schedule!

The pups and I took off to the park in surprisingly pleasant temperature considering the heat of yesterday and the lateness of the hour.

Walking past the nursing home we were treated with the scent of bacon and pancakes...and none of us had eaten breakfast...stomachs growling, we continued on our way.

The park was almost bustling - city workers arriving and departing with equipment as well as walkers, runners and bikers enjoying the morning.



Knowing it was too late for deer, we went to the enclosed practice diamond - one of the only places where I will let the dogs off leash. They almost flew they were so glad to be able to stretch and run.





We practiced "coming" when called. Scruffy responds beautifully. I will not comment on the chocolate lab...much.

I know Scruff complies hoping there is a treat. Paddy will then "get" it and join the race for a biscuit.




Two puppies tried mightily to find a way out of the gate, but did react when I shouted. They need the "leader" to be more consistent - with commands and rewards. I try to be a responsible pet owner, but I continue to wear the "needs improvement" label.

On our way home the sunshine pointed out details of our park and our woods that we miss in the dark or just dawning light.



And we visited with a stranger - she is no stranger now. Helen walks and has walked for some time. She remembers many moments in the park. She remembers the bicycle.

We note a few wildflowers - appreciated now that the dramatic show of mustard, bluebonnets and gaillardia have passed...wild petunia, wild morning glory, a few others.




Some of our neighboring yards are ragged, but some are lovely. One in particular (the one with zinnias) almost always has something lovely blooming.



The pups, exhausted, drink water together from my hand. I can tell I am forgiven for yesterday's failures. Now it is time for breakfast and chores...






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.