Sunday, June 17, 2012

Almost a perfect Sunday morning

Another early Sunday morning trip down to Hander Park. We are almost the only ones stirring today.

Then Sissy and DeWayne drive by, waiving. We know they will be at work by the time we get to the park. And they are..."quack" and throw; release, whistle and retrieve. Off leash, the teenage labs follow orders and stare at my ruffians, but do not deviate from their directed activity.

Paddy and Scruff  are fascinated. We stop and watch, but I doubt my two are picking up behavior tips.

They have twisted their leashes into one long red and pink braid. My hand is firmly in place (wrapped up) and, while squeezed, not pained. I decide to leave it alone and adjust only when necessary. We cannot run the risk of a loose dog in the park...at least not one of our dogs.

The first meadow seems suddenly all drying grass. The last of the riot of wildflowers are hidden beneath and a few horse mint force their way out and scent the area. The lack of a morning breeze allows the scent to linger, but will make the walk all too warm all too quickly.

We hug the edge of the woods on our return, dogs sniffing, walker looking for those plants that have so captivated this spring and summer - those plants we will try to propagate in our lazy/casual way (our side yard is full of such experiments).


Wafer Ash (Ptelea Trifoliata)

The wafer ash trees are just out of reach. They will need to be marked soon...and I have a plan to do so without exposure to too many of the dangers of the woods.


(Clematis pitcheri) Purple Leatherflower

Then we noted the clematis are still blooming...they continue to surprise, these purple blooms. Just when I think they have finished, I discover another group of buds and blooms and the crazy mad green things left when the petals dry and fall away.


(Insanus insanum viridia)

The climb back home - one steep hill, one gradual incline - provides those sights and sounds that make this walk such a pleasure most days. A bed of zinnias reminds me of Dad on this fathers' day. He always planted them and Mom would cut them to decorate our table - bright orange and red and pink and yellow. A cicada startles the pups as it buzzes its objection to being disturbed and zips off into the grass. And, just before we can see our house, we hear a woodpecker on our left and the cooing of the white wings on our right.

It is almost the perfect Sunday morning walk.

3 comments:

  1. Can you tell I'm channeling our cousin? I love Clematis and it will, as so many others, bring mama to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason you are double posting. I am not sure why that is happening. I found clematis seeds today on the river.

      Delete
  2. Can you tell I'm channeling our cousin? I love Clematis and it will, as so many others, bring mama to mind.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.