Sunday, June 24, 2012

Ch-ch-ch-Ch-ch-ch-Ch-ch-shhhhhhhhh!

Spent most of yesterday on the road and followed it up with a late and heavy meal. I am feeling almost "hung-over" today so the walk was late and hot.

I know I will appreciate it as soon as I cool off and hydrate, but right now, as the salty sweat burns my eyes and my head aches a bit, my words fail me. There were wonders on this walk and simple good moments. But right now I can only think about this sticky T-shirt smeared with the leftover makeup of yesterday mixed with dirt and sweat and tears from stinging eyes.

The pups and I walked on the north side of the street most of the way to the park today. Our late start meant the sun was already all too hot and too bright on the south side. At least there was some shade remaining on the north.

We did cross the street once as a neighbor was having a garage sale. While not interested in buying anything, THIS is the neighbor with the salmon color Althea. THIS was the opportunity to request (beg?) cuttings in the fall. SUCCESS! She was only too glad to scratch the ears of the pups and consent to clipping of the Althea come October.

Crossing the road once again we tried to hurry to the park, but the sun was taking its toll. We three cranky walkers tangled in leashes and leads, around trees, shrubs and telephone polls...

Finally we reached the park - but there was little reprieve. There was no  degree temperature drop we often receive. It was still just as hot and our walk now largely unshaded.

We sought out the places where smells are good (for dogs) and I could take stock of the seeds we plan to save as they mature. Yesterday, my brother, R, showed me that the wild spiky things left after the purple clematis blooms die are, in fact, the seed casings. How wildly fabulous!  I knew they had to have a reason besides providing a crazy looking growth on the vine, but it was good to have more information.
 
 
He also shared that "old man's beard," that fluffy blooming stuff that hugs barbed wire fencing across central and south Texas, is also a clematis - making the spiky seed pods more understandable.





He and I shared the long drive yesterday and it was a wonderfully soul affirming trip. I can ask my "plant questions of the uneducated." The drive was through the hilly north-central Texas area and provided much to discuss. A plant exchange almost always follows visits with my siblings.

On the return home from the park we greeted more neighbors on bikes and walking. Then my friend, V, drove by waiving.

But one last comment - remembering water for my dark coated friends, we stopped for a break and both dogs shared a drink from my cupped hand. I think there is nothing sweeter than drinking dogs - tongues lapping the water and then nudging up for a quick kiss or sneeze. (OK - sneeze not so sweet).

Oh, and the title? "Ch-ch-ch-Ch-ch-ch-Ch-ch-shhhhhhhh!" is the sound of this hot summer day. It is the sound of the sprinklers watering thirsty lawns and the cicadas in the trees...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.