Saturday, June 9, 2012

Grit Lives (Recipe for Cushaw Pie)

When my daddy was a boy he sold Grit. I had no idea it still existed, but apparently many periodicals have made the transition to electrons.

And there in Grit, Rural American Know-How, I found a recipe for Cushaw Pie - a delicacy my friend at the farmers' market tells me is not to be missed. He said the only time his father "disciplined" him was when he had a third piece of cushaw pie at a neighbor's house. Like my father, he was probably raised in tough times and that third piece of pie was not just rude, but potentially taking food out of the mouth of the neighbor's children.

Here is a link to the recipe. I will be trying it when the cushaw squash is ready (I'll post photos and a review). And I will think of my friend, his daddy, and my daddy.

http://www.grit.com/recipes/easy-pie-recipes-cushaw-squash-pie.aspx

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! And you can enter a contest for a "heritage chicken starter kit!"

    http://www.motherearthnews.com/sweeps.aspx?qnrName=SWP_ALB2&id=2147500969&cid=2147484695

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.