Saturday, June 9, 2012

Bag lady with no bags

Our walk was cut short this morning by an irresponsible pet owner without a plastic bag. After spending an hour yesterday trying on "cargo shorts" to make sure there is room for flashlight, id, camera, bags, water, keys etc. forgetting an essential item just seems silly. Guess I need a checklist posted on the back door.

At least the shorts are a success. There is perhaps nothing more frightening than a bag lady with a cane, a big dog, and shorts slowly slipping away under the weight the "treasures" she carries.

So, it was off to the farmers' market instead. Some of our favorite folks were there - Harold has just about everything and shares his recipes for frying just about everything (heard the fried "patty-pan" squash directions today; the foreign service retiree (now also a retired teacher) explained the use of cushaw squash he is growing, along with tomatoes and melons, on a sandy-loam farm some distance away; the herb lady reminded me the lovely little plant I purchased last year is used for earache - not cooking; and the "big" operation tempted us with much, but sold us only peaches.

And the garlic lady was there. I don't think I have ever had such garlic. I wait all year to buy a bunch and hoard it into the winter. She had a "recipe" for freezing a garlic/olive oil slurry. I will have to think about that.

I am already loving the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.