Friday, July 4, 2014

Our Paddy

It is July 4th. We have had heavy rains and so last night the pyro-nuts in the neighborhood were not out with their fireworks.*

This morning we decided to skip the chaos of the parade** and head to breakfast in the next town. ***


When we got home, Paddy was missing. Scruffy, he of the "I have been rescued just recently (2 years ago) and I am not going anywhere" was distressed though and wanted to come inside.

And Paddy was missing.

She is nearing blindness. She is old and anxious. She fears thunder and fireworks. She digs.

Still, we thought she would be OK in the yard while we had breakfast. All along we had planned to bring her inside tonight - to avoid the neighborhood fireworks that will break out all around us.

She was not OK. She was not there.

We called the police and left our information. We drove past the vet's office (She has a collar with her name and the vet's information). We checked the answering machine and discovered it was not working (it is now).

Then we drove the streets. We went everywhere Paddy was "used to" walking. We went to the park. We drove through the cemetery. We drove up and down the grid of side streets of the neighborhood. We went by the elementary school.

We came home dejected. DH went to take a nap. I waited for the phone to ring. I fully expected some kind person to have found her (Did I mention the home phone number is embroidered on her collar too?).

I could not sit still and went outside again. Perhaps she would wander home.

I looked again to the neighbor's backyard (this is how she escapes...she digs from our yard to the neighbor's. If we aren't home, they just let her out, I think.). Birds were flying around the side yard and backyard - the movement catching my eye. But then I saw four paws running.

Paddy was still in the neighbor's yard. She must have been so frightened by the noises of the parade and traffic that she took shelter somewhere in the yard where she could not hear us calling and whistling.

She heard me this time.

I let her out, but immediately onto the leash.

She was not frantic - just happy and thirsty.

I am sure there is a message in this somewhere...maybe a few messages. All I know is that I have burned off all my adrenalin and am going to do chores for a while...just after I get that sweet dog into the house.

The fireworks have started.


NOTES:

*We are the nuts in the neighborhood who have the scary, overgrown yard and "Go Away" door mat.

** Don't get me wrong. I like the parade. At least I like the idea of the parade. It is a traffic nightmare for at least half the day. We have had floats and people and cars blocking our street and our driveway. We have had horses gallop through our yard (leaving deep holes in the damp ground). I am glad folks love and enjoy it. And I am grateful I don't have to march or sit in the heat anymore. I will enjoy the photos posted and printed and remember our days past with the parade.

***At least the parade-nuts stopped when I stood in front of their cars to allow DH to back out of the driveway. I had to do the same thing to allow him to park when we returned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.