Saturday, July 26, 2014

River stories, Number 2 - Lizards that run the river...really...

We float in the morning to avoid the rowdy ones. Of course, we also get to see more wildlife as it has not been chased away by too many people and music too loud.

On one of our first floats many of us were already in the water, but DH was standing on the shore with his tube. Suddenly I saw the flash of a striped lizard running - nay dancing - across the river. He reached the shore and immediately ran up onto DH (who, I should say, always dresses is browns, tans and olives and could be mistaken for a tree, I guess.).

"Did you see that? Did you see that?"* I asked the company.  "A lizard just ran across the river and jumped up on DH? I didn't know lizards can do that. Oh, the lizard IS STILL ON YOU!" said I.

DH looked down. Set his tube down and looked down again. Finally he found the lizard and "scootched" him off onto the rocky bank.

This lizard had green stripes and was larger than the anole, but shaped like it. It was moving so fast that it almost looked to be walking (or running) upright.**

So this is a story with a question (or two): Has anyone else seen a green-striped lizard run across the surface of water? Do you know what kind it is?***


NOTES:

* Yes, I am one of those irritating people who repeat themselves when it is not necessary. I don't know why I do that. Is it that the first statement is a practice and the second sincere? Unfortunately I only realize I am doing it once done.

**Trust me. I saw this with my own two eyes. I had my glasses on. I was not imbibing anything.

***Feel free to comment below. I am wondering if it was a Texas Spotted Whiptail. Jim Conrad has a photo on his website, but I didn't see any discussion of them walking on water.  http://www.friocanyonnature.com/n/a/whiptail.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.