Monday, July 14, 2014

Germany in summer (Hint: We are talking flowers here)

I have rarely traveled in Europe "during the season." I have traveled in fall and winter and early spring, but never in the warmth of late spring and summer, when the wildflowers (and other flowers) bloom...until now.

Germany in mid-summer is still lovely, even as some flowers are past their best. I loved them all. I recognized many. And I finally saw the bloom of the German old-man's-beard. That was special.


Field of yellow wildflowers beyond a hedge-lined path. Even Germany has its DYCs

Waterlilies in MC's pond.

Large pot of fuchsia. I have only seen these in photos.

Close-up of fuchsia

Another close-up of fuchsia

I think these are globe thistle. I have not seen these before.

Blooms along the banks of the Vils

More blooms along the banks of the Vils

and more...

and more...

and more....

More globe thistles.

Pea pod-like seeds. I wonder about the flower.

Daisies, verbena (?) and hostas.

I know this type of thistle

Really amazing thistle plants.

Another thistle budding out.

Clematis - yes, the German old-man's-beard. See the seeds above the bloom?

Another photo of the clematis plant...seeds and flowers sharing the vine.

Clematis from above.

More globe thistles

Juniper (?)

Catalpa? Really? In Germany?

Yucca? Really? In Germany?

Water plants and koi

Apple tree in the "moat"

See, apples! There is also an orchard behind MC's house

Pond in the old town

Flowers at entrance to old town...and palm trees...

There are maples. I love these seeds.



Woods



Mixed border

Marigolds +

Another border

Gazanias











Yellow rose for me

More roses...

and more...

and more...wish we could have seen all  these blooms open...

Blue and yellow flowers are stunning together...sage and, um, marigolds maybe?

More blue and yellow - day lilies

sunflowers


The gardens outside our hotel window.

Flowers were everywhere!

I have always loved the way window boxes are decorated in Germany, but on this trip everywhere we looked were swaths of color - roadsides and city parks, window boxes and balconies. It was lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.