Sunday, July 27, 2014

Exchange in the Walgreen's parking lot...

It is fig time...

I had to laugh. I had been peeling figs for about 30 minutes today when I thought, "I should take some pictures and share this recipe." I did take a few photos and then finished peeling the figs. After measuring out sugar and covering the two batches of figs (and one of tomatoes) that will be canned tonight, I sat down to start the post only to discover that I had already written one for my private family stories.

So the photos here are from 2013 (the pictures are better).

My grandmother, Grace, always made fig preserves. She had 6 or 8 trees in her side yard where she grew little brown honey figs.* I remember her  sitting on a white stool at the sink in her kitchen where she would trim figs for preserves and peel apples for coffee cake. I have a few of her recipes that Mom made sure had "real" measurements. Grandma was a "little of this and little of that" cook. I remember her measuring out a cup of flour with a tea cup.

Yes, every year Gracie made fig preserves with the little brown "honey figs."** Mama made fig preserves too, with Gracie's recipe. *** And for years I have made them as well. I made them for Mom when she couldn't make them anymore. I still make them for my sister and other folks who grew up with them and have a "taste for" figs.****


I have tried to grow fig trees and have not been very successful. I am still trying, but the tiny tree I have is just surviving. It will be a good long time before it produces figs.

For some years I picked large figs at a neighbor's house, but the trees were damaged by cold winters and drought and are gone. One of the women farmers at the farmers market became my "supplier" a few years ago. She no longer comes to the market, but Virgina calls me in mid-July when the figs are ready. We meet in the Walgreen's parking lot and conduct our business. We laugh about how we look like we are conducting some illegal business.

This year, as Virginia thanked me, I hugged her and explained that making fig preserves is one connection I still have with my grandmother and mother. I feel them right beside me as I peel and measure figs. I can almost hear them whispering gentle directions as I stir the figs until thick and fill the jars.

Two batches of figs wait for me. I will cook and can them tonight, after some running around with the kids. And this year I will eat them the way my youngest child does - with brie on crackers. I am sure that Grandma and Mama would approve.


Gracie's Figs

3 Cups figs
2 Cups sugar
Juice of 1/3 lemon
A little water

Wash figs twice in water in which you have dissolved some baking soda (I just rinse them as I peel). Trim stems from figs and boil slowly over medium heat stirring regularly to avoid scorching. Can according to directions and use a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

[This is a good recipe for any variety of fig. It is wise to cut larger figs in half to insure they cook through. I don't like the skin on my figs so I peel them and then follow the rest of the recipe. Daddy didn't like lemon in his so Mom put lemon juice in, but did not use lemon slices in the mix. I always add at least one lemon sliced to each jar of figs. The jars are so pretty with the honey colored figs and a few lemon slices showing.]

 Box of figs

Peeled figs in measuring cup

Figs in the pot


Figs starting to boil

Rapidly boiling figs - stir to make sure they don't stick to the pan

Magic! Fig preserves in jars - labeled (they really are best within the year).

Aren't they pretty? The middle jar is for my sister. She likes her figs whole.


NOTES:


* The big leaves of Grandma's fig trees provided the perfect shade. When we were children,  we spent hours playing house under the fig trees (with little folding stools, "give-aways" from the Indian Missions, and miniature pots and pans). [All these treasures were stored in the toy box under the coat tree in Grandma's back bedroom.]

**I don't know if they are called "honey" figs because they are so sweet or because they ooze a thick sweet juice - like honey.

***Mother only had one fig tree. She would hoard the figs until she had enough ripe figs to make some preserves. Mother gave me lots of hints - slice large figs in half in case there are insects inside (they get in through big "eyes" at the bottom of the fruit). She also said that you need to remember to clean the rim of the jar so that your seal would be good. She once had a fig seed left on the rim prevent a jar from sealing.

****I disapprove of making ersatz strawberry jam by adding strawberry Jello. Really, this is sacrilege.

1 comment:

  1. 78-1-14
    More figs picked today! It will be a long evening.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.