Tuesday, July 22, 2014

More wildflowers - from the river's edge and from around this blessed part of the hill country

Wildflowers and plants and such (a tree or two may sneak in)...

The past few years we have headed to the river in the fall (and once in the winter). There are so few wildflowers at that time of year (although an earlier post does include visions in September) that we reveled in the summer flowers* (We will need to try a spring trip soon.).

Some of these may be posted elsewhere. I just thought they should be gathered together. Some will be identified. Some will be identified incorrectly. Some will simply be. I am not sure I care. I do thank the Aggies and others who provide some wonderful online assistance (see below).

Still, named or unnamed wildflowers are part of our being and having these pictures allows me to go back to the river, even if only for a moment. I get to see the flowers and wonder at the bees and remember how much fun we had.


 
Yellow flower with bee.
A bunch of yellow flowers (can you tell I gave up after pouring over two wildflower books)

These were white flower peeking out of a grassy field - don't judge me!

Green milkweed vine

I love ball moss. I know that it is a menace, but I still love it.

Two small yellow wildflowers share this spot of rocky ground

Oh my gosh, there is something called a "sneezeweed"and this looks like it!

To be politically correct I will identify this one by another of its names - bleeding hearts**

[I didn't find these in the book - just all over the riverbanks. My siblings will know what it is. I probably know what it is, but my mind is an open-empty book.]

An insect had almost created green lace of these leaves.

Fern. There also is maidenhair fern all around, especially near springs, but I didn't get any good photos.

The Mullein was found on multiple websites*** - Apparently foragers love it, but it is considered an invasive.

In the rock covered area across from our swimming area, the mullein was impressive...and spreading

The mullein rosette base is so pretty

Just about to bloom..

Old Man's Beard** growing on the fence/sunflowers in the foreground

Different view of Old Man's Beard

Old Man's Beard grows thick in the hill country

Aster, daisy?

Red sage (My brother tells me there are at least two red sages growing in the area. This was on the cliff.).

Parrot grass (?) makes walking/swimming/floating near the bank yucky.

Texas Buckeye bean pods hide in the shrub/tree branches (I found seeds all around and will try - again - to grow some.)

This  beautiful tree is located a few hundred feet from where we start our floating.

I am sure this is some special riparian sunflower. I had to wade to get the photo.

[Comments and identification welcome. I won't be insulted. I know some, forgot others and am ready to move on to other waiting posts. This is not a professional Texas plant site. I might argue about a few things...this will not be one of them.]

NOTES:

* Okay, okay. Many of the flowers are those Darned Yellow Composites that defy identification by amateurs. Still, there was a lot of color this year. Frequent rain has kept the area green and growing.

**http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=MAARD  I also like the name "sleeping hibiscus"

***http://www.foragingtexas.com/2006/12/mullien.html
 http://www.texasinvasives.org/observations/detail.php?site_id=19256 (I note the observation here
 was just south of where I found these plants.

***http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/nativeshrubs/clematisdrummond.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.