Friday, July 25, 2014

River stories - Number 1

Buffalo Creek:

I walked down to Buffalo Creek. It is a muddy thing just behind the screened-shelters-on-the-hill at our favorite retreat.

We used to camp there as children - with the family of my mother's best friend. My next younger brother and the youngest brother of our friends spent a good bit of time in the creek. They built dams. They played with a waterwheel (made by Uncle L, I think).

The trail is steep. I was always cautious about walking down to the creek. It was covered in fallen leaves and slippery. When you made it to the water, the creek was often yucky...silty, algae-slimy.

The trail is treacherous today. I walk only half-way down.

The trail to Buffalo Creek.

A fairly clear view of the creek

A view down the creek to where it meets the river
 Our friends' screened shelter (it will always be their screened shelter, like the one we used 40 years ago will always be ours) was empty when I walked by, but still I expected to see little boys playing in the creek. I listened for them laughing and splashing in the water. I looked for a waterwheel spinning.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.