Friday, August 31, 2012

Plants and flowers along the river (and a few insects AND a dog)

My mother always carried a wildflower book when we went on vacation. She identified "old friends" and new varieties. She would note in her book when and where she identified a plant and sometimes would press a specimen. And always we would have a glass or bottle or jar with wildflowers on the window ledge - some that she found -some picked by children and, later, grandchildren.

A three inch rain refreshed life along the river.

On my walks I soaked in as many sights and sounds as I could manage over two short days. Here we go:

???

Flowering vine growing up out of the asphalt at a "pull over."


This tiny flower...

is a wild oxalis
 Wild oxalis grew at my grandfather's ranch in the hill country.


Silver-leaf nightshade
Nightshade fruit
There were only a few nightshades, but here too they are fruiting. I read an article about the terrible impact these plants and their fruit can have on  livestock.

Carpet of tiny white flowers

Prickly Texas plant (?)
What is that saying? Everything in Texas either sticks, stings, or bites. I did not touch this plant. I don't know what it is, but it was not inviting.

Old Man's Beard ( Clematis drummondii)
Mass of Old Man's Beard bright in the sunlight.

Old Man's Beard is one of my favorites. The seeds are seen in the fluffy mounds on fences along country highways. It is also known as Durmmond's Clematis and Texas Virgin's Bower.


Little yellow composites
 Lots of little old lady wildflower seekers affectionately call these "d--n little yellow composites."



Snow on the mountain, Euphorbia marginata


Snow on the Mountain - small plant
Snow on the Mountain (detail)
 I first saw Snow on the Mountain as a huge shrub on the campus where I work. The "plant man" told me that it was a weed, but he thought it was so lovely that he let it grow. Indeed, it is beautiful with its variegated leaves/petals.  These were growing all along the road to the low water crossing.


Maybe wild petunia?


Sunflowers along the river path

Rain lilies
 There was a field full of these lilies at the top of the hill (Cabin 5). They nodded hello as we hurried to look at the river when we arrived.
Maiden hair fern growing on rocks at the river's edge.
 I don't think I have every seen as much maiden hair fern growing in as many places. This was one of Mom's favorites.

Dead tree with moss and vultures. Ghost stories tonight, anyone?
 There were so many dead trees throughout the area and along the river. This one was particularly ominous with its branches full of vultures. The vultures were scavenging around campsites as people left for home.

I am pretty sure this is my friend JK's Alamo switch grass (Panicum virgatumis)
We have a friend who has studied this grass as a fuel for power plants.


The most impressive plant along the river, of course, the bald cypress.




We walk among giants

The roots reach out to steady the tree and trip the unwary.



INSECTS:  (just a couple - really). For a number of summers we manically (maniacally?) collected insects for freshman biology assignments. We still SEE them, but leave them alone now although they continue to fascinate.

The maiden flies are constant companions along the river - even lighting on a shoulder or knee as we tube the slower parts of the stream.

Butterfly


Maiden fly
Hello - ants? doodle bugs?



DOGS: OK. I had to add my good friend here. He made me miss the pups.


































No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.