Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I carry a cane...

Our walk yesterday morning was a rushed affair. We walked down our street and noted the leaves and acorns and pecans down all over the pavement and sidewalks and yards. They are storm damage from the night before, but also a necessary culling of the harvest as we have not had enough rain for everything to develop.

We were late and there was no goofing. But on the way home we saw a limb broken loose and caught in another - hanging precariously over the road. I shook my head and thought about the damage it could do if it made its final fall unexpected by people below. So I took my cane, reached up, and hooked the limb. It was an easy fix - pulling it down and moving it out of the street.

I laughed thinking about that handy cane - it makes me look older and more feeble than I am. I carry it for other reasons - no need to use it for walking stability yet.  It doesn't frighten the neighbors, but does frighten loose dogs. I raised it to the yippy dog that always seems out and wandering the neighborhood as we neared home.

Half the time I leave the stick hanging on the fence (I hang it there while I leash and unleash dogs). I am surprised when I wander out to the gate and find the cane hanging there...waiting for the walk.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.