Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Dust devil

Today I was working with a lovely student and his mother when I turned in my chair just in time to see an ENORMOUS dust devil outside my window.

The whirlwind caught up the white dust of the street base from the construction below and whipped up a swirling cloud that grew and moved and eventually dissipated as dust devils do. It was crazy/mad beautiful!

I was reminded first of those times driving through the countryside with my parents who taught me what a dust devil was.

Then I thought of that long hot summer when I wandered the country roads of central Texas with my boy - seeking out cemeteries to document for his Eagle Scout project. We saw a lot of dust devils, straw devils, cornhusk devils and more that summer. It was a great summer of watching out for Jake (the snake) as we walked through ploughed and unploughed fields and climbed over barbed wire (bahb whar) fences and ripped jeans and met crazy folks who helped us locate hidden spots, including the missing cemetery that was no longer in Bell County (as they had moved the county line so the cemetery was in Milam County now)...

Funny what a lot of heat and a bit of dust can do...bring back a summer half a life ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.