Sunday, July 8, 2012

Good Sunday morning...firecracker plants and flags

Storms blew through the area last night cooling things off I had thought. But this morning the humidity condensed on our bodies as soon as we stepped out the door.

Still, we all needed to walk. And so we did.

It is full dark at 5:30. And we noticed our "glow in the dark" leash does shine in the flashlight beam. The lights on the other leash have been blinking for two days -since taking a dip in the creek. The lights grow dim, but continue.

We started our preparations for the walk at 5:00, but packing and feeding, coffee making et al. ate the time. And packing for the pups is as involved as packing for babies - plastic bags, water, flashlight, treats, phone, wallet, keys, and coffee (OK, the coffee is for DH and me). When I walk alone I have even more gear, but DH joined me today so I was less "loaded down."

The deer (we knew they would be there) ran along the ditch that spans the length of the park. One doe stood facing us until we were within about 25 feet before another, hidden in the brush, gave the warning bark and all disappeared.

We took our old "round the park" walk. The park was empty of people on this damp and hazy Sunday morning.

We decided to check the ash seeds (we are not sure when they will mature enough to be harvested) and walked down the dirt road to the meadows. More deer could been seen in the far meadow. This was definitely the right time to see animals, but it was hard to celebrate as we were humidity-weary.

The birds flitted around us as we walked the road, as if they thought this was some Disney movie.

The air smelled of damp and dust with a slight floral overtone - like the back room of an old house.

The mud we expected on the road was absent. The ground is so parched that the rain of last evening was absorbed into the dust and cracks with barely a notice. More rain is forecast for the next few days and the ground is still thirsty for it.

We dragged ourselves back up the hills towards home buoyed by the sight of the line of small American flags along the top of a the chain link fence (of the family of munchkins who humor my bad Spanish).

After releasing the dogs and recovering the cane I left hanging on the gate, I noticed a hummingbird at my firecracker plant. 

Good Sunday morning.


[Cannot catch those hummers with my camera, but I will go back for a flag photo...watch this space.]

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try an old shoulder bag. If you have one that is large enough for things but not so large as to be a nuisance, you've got the right bag. I have one with several zipper compartments for bags, treats and the other detritus of dog walking. I keep mine hung by the door. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use cargo pants! There is a pocket for everything! I look a little weird, but it works for me.

      Delete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.