Monday, July 16, 2012

After the storm

Sunrise after a storm can be lovely.

Sunrise

 We passed the pine tree resting on the house with nary a look. [I would wait until full light to take photos and review the "plan of action" with DH]

Our bummer

We found another house down the block with limbs down. Apparently we had some strange winds yesterday and there is a good deal of damage in town.

Neighbor's bummer



Dogs were distracted as was I and we made ourselves walk...and walk.

Robot dogs were hanging out of the pickup truck as they passed us near the house and soon after we saw running man returning from the park.

Our off-schedule and distracted selves could not face polite community in the park - which was teeming with walkers and runners and such. So we decided to brave the mud on the dirt road and escape the bustle of too many folks. 

We three went slipping and sliding down the road and, instead of recognizing our mistake, kept walking.

I realized that I was in danger of a "Chaplinesque" pratfall as the dogs were excited and the road ridiculously slick . Have you every walked in river silt? I kept thinking I would soon be skiing on mud powered by twin engine-dog power.

And, folly heaped upon folly, we kept walking.

As we reached the first meadow a good-sized buck leapt across the road - the image is still fresh in my mind - beautiful powerful animal. The dogs tried to take off after him, but calmed as they realized I would not give them leave to run.

The second meadow was empty, but then it seemed we flushed the herd out of the woods and they crossed the meadow, some stopping for the briefest moment. The photo surprised me (I never have a camera ready, the light is rarely "right," and animals do not pose) - catching the animals in halt and flight. (I know. It is none too good, but will have to do).

Deer in the far meadow


We slipped and slid back down the road (sans the  "face plant" I was expecting) and shook the mud off our feet and shoes as we made our way back home to survey the storm damage.




 After the storm count:

pine tree (against my house)
tree limb (in the neighbor's yard)

27 cars - including robot dogs's truck
1 bicycle
1 runner

1 buck leaping out of the near meadow
7 deer in far meadow



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.