Friday, June 1, 2018

Pant...pant...pant...

I believe someone made a grievous mistake
when summer was created; 
no novitiate or god in their right mind 
would make a season akin to hell on purpose. 
Someone should be fired.

~Michelle Franklin

Good morning - I miss these sunrises most days.
We are trying to get out and walk more - even in this wretched weather. Walks before 8 are tolerable, but after that they are impossible. We hug the shade.

There are squirrels everywhere, but the proximity of the river (I am not jumping in that river) prevent any stalking.

Some fishermen were preparing their gear. I walked over to see where they would be. There is a low dam further down the river just past the bridge. It's dangerous. I feel compelled to warn. There was no need to fret. These fishermen would be moving upriver towards the big dam.

VM laughed at me. But I have reasons.

See 'em?
That's a good amount of gear on that little boat.
We didn't walk too long. I forget what happened but we were interrupted and we cut through the ball fields to get back to the parking lot. A park worker visited with us for a minute.

And then Zelda saw it. A squirrel was just ahead - near the concession stand. Zelda took off towards the squirrel.  Up into the fencing climbed the squirrel (no fool, he). We could hear the squirrel fussing at the pup from a good distance.

The house sparrows were almost swarming the area. Even well-swept, there are always crumbs remaining for the birds.

Mid-fence
At the top.
I stopped on the way out of the park. I hadn't seen the Purple Leatherflowers this year. And I did not see them today. The park workers cut the brambles back along the edge of the woods and they could have severed those vines as well. Still - poison ivy, snailseed, and honeysuckle grow profusely just beyond the trimmed vines. There is still hope for the leatherflowers.

A small wafer ash was showing its seeds within arm's length. I love these trees. I am sure they are not a tree to propagate, but I may try anyway.


It's getting hot. Time to go.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.