Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Dogs and a Kite...

<Sigh>
~Charlie Brown

Zelda loves other dogs. She trembles with excitement when she sees another dog in the neighborhood. She strains against the leash to get to them. She whines, whimpers, and "talks." We were about to start the morning walk when the across-the-street neighbor crossed the street with her um, Cocker Spaniel? King Charles Spaniel? Some Kind of Fancy Dog?

Whatever it was, it was also a bit neurotic and fearful of the excited Zelda. We let them move down the sidewalk well ahead of us. Then we headed to the park where a Mississippi Kite was overlooking the scene from the top of an oak. It was finally dislodged by an aggressive Blue Jay.*

I am a terrible birder, but I have seen these in the park earlier and I've heard their call. They also have a certain "look" that is hard to mistake.
I should mention that I heard a "squawk" from this one that I did not find in the "calls," but most birds have a variety of calls/sounds/vocalizations.

We headed home listening to the barks of some 7 neighborhood dogs (or more). During the last week  I have started to understand the dog schedules - when people walk them leashed, when people just let them out to roam, which are harmless barkers, and which should be avoided. And we try to take this new knowledge into consideration for our walks - bringing along a sturdy cane for protection.**

DH will be back on the job tomorrow, but I may join them - to watch the birds and protect the family. I wield a mean cane.

I forgot we saw a pair of cardinals on the block. I love the flash of red.

NOTES:

*There are bird dramas in this place. I would have to spend more time observing to understand what is up. But I would bet the jay has a nest in the park and wanted the kite to move along.

**I've carried a number of things - pepper spray, pocket knives and the like. I find a sturdy cane will discourage curious cattle dogs and that demon three-legged "Lucky." It also stabilizes a responsible dog walker picking up after her dog (when she has thrown out her back and bending over has become painful). I try to swing it in a jaunty manner as I walk so that any hooligans will realize I am not a little old helpless target.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.