Friday, June 15, 2018

A Trio of Shops


T. Elliott has an eye.

I discovered this as I window shopped on Main Street. First I saw the gallery with its note on the door telling me 2 doors to the right. The gallery was showing works by local artists and I wanted to see more. So I followed directions and walked to the right.

Through the gallery window.

 The next space was an eclectic sort of antique shop with a sign 1 door to the right.

I could find a home for either of these chandeliers (although I do not want to swing from either).
A fabulous collection of silver.

Curioser and curioser.

Through this door was the woman herself - T. Elliott of T. Elliott Design Studio*
Terry Elliott greeted me at the door (that was two to the right) and then took me to and through each of the shops. I was able to see everything - even into the closets (Jesus on the top shelf, amazing art and neat piles of fabrics). Each shop is its own kind of wonderful.

The gallery contained beautiful and imaginative porcelain and stoneware works by Lisabeth Mertins** and prints by Denise Kramer.*** There were many pieces that called out for close examination and some whispered, "Take me home." But I have no room and I am in the midst of downsizing.****

I peeked around the corner to see rows of thread and fabrics - amazing fabrics. Ms. Elliott creates here and one could see a number of her works in progress. And one can also see - and purchase one of her many gorgeous creations - hand-painted fabrics made into dresses, vests, jackets and scarves. Other amazing geometric confections waited to be taken home were displayed on racks (as well as the artist). I'm convinced there really was something here for everyone. And, if you cannot find exactly what you are looking for Terry will work with you designing something expressly for you. It's that kind of place and she is that kind of artist.

I fear I "looked all the colors" off of some of the garments. I also found the jewelry collections compelling. One line is made by a local mother-daughter team. Their stands of jewels imaginatively combining history and spirit.

Not quite satisfied to take home only photos I could only leave by promising myself to find some occasion or a need for a statement piece - something to shop for my next trip to Riverside.

I love the rows of colorful thread (and the handmade pattern hanging in the middle).
The fabrics are rich and varied - this was only a small stack hiding under the work table.
The right person could just scoop up that golden outfit and be ready for anything. Alas, not my colors (and no place to go).
Yes, I know, I know. This is me. Really. I am dreaming of it.
I couldn't do the white top and slacks, but that turquoise.... <sigh>
Seriously...look at the choices.
And look at the jewelry!

Ms. Elliott was generous with her time. She shared the history of the shops, even showing me an old photograph from long ago when there was a dome on top of the building (echoing the other domes atop buildings in the downtown area) and the middle shop was an arched passage to the stable in the back.

There are no ghosts here according to Ms. Elliot. Of course I had to ask. But I wonder. There is certainly a wonderful feeling in each of the shops and Terry will make you feel at home, answering your questions and sharing her artist's eye.


NOTES:

*More on T. Elliott Design Studio:
https://www.facebook.com/telliottdesign/
http://www.telliottx3.com/about.html
https://www.facebook.com/terese.elliott.3?fref=search

**More on Lizbeth Martins
https://lisamertins.com/about.html

***More on Denise Kramer:
https://www.pe.com/2017/12/20/from-history-to-clothing-printmaking-captures-riverside-artists-imagination/
https://www.facebook.com/denise.kraemer.3

****I have prints stacked against the walls and 7 (really) boxes of books waiting for donation. Don't ask how many bags of clothing are waiting for new lives via the thrift store.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.