Sunday, June 17, 2018

A Graduation in California

This is why we need the humanities.
~ Anonymous


We were in California for a long weekend to celebrate a graduation. It was a big deal - really. And we were invited, so we were there - as bright-eyed and bushy-tailed as we could manage.* Graduation only consumes a couple of hours. [It's one of those graduations where the faculty advisor "hoods" the graduate with appropriate colors. This does take time and dexterity. Some are better at it than others, but you certainly can count on those with a gift for language to entertain.]

The student speaker was from the engineering school. She seemed very accomplished and a bit of a nerd. Her address would have been adequate for a high school graduation, but we were all a little underwhelmed. The English professor accompanying our graduating friend leaned over as the young woman completed her speech, "This is why we need the humanities!"

The proudest people in the place. Their kid is the tall one.
It was a colorful bunch as the graduates were accompanied by advising professors. I explained some of this to the guy siting behind me. It kept him quiet and I was channeling my kind mother.
What else did we do?

We made new friends.

We ate a great deal (and some wonderful food). Many tacos were consumed (how could we go wrong, fueled by tacos?).

The tacos were pretty good - I liked the use of shredded cabbage.
This is a famous taco place in town where there is almost always a line. We didn't eat here, but walked by on our way to another restaurant. I LOVE the dia de los muertos figures in the yard.

Some of us went into the desert. Others stayed behind to rest and take a short walk downtown.

Downtown Riverside is intriguing.
All in all, it was a great weekend.

The company was the best.

The grandcats came out to socialize with everyone. This is unusual.** I suppose it could be a sign, or not.

Slinky gets a snack.
Aengus watching these strangers in his house.

The flights were on-time and pleasant.

I sometimes forget how much fun Southwest Airlines can be (it is their anniversary!).

Traffic wasn't impossible.

The hotel was fine.***

There was one trip into the wild (and what a trip!).

So, there will follow three ghosts - stories about some of our adventures. They are shadows of the actual events, but shouldn't frighten. [Maybe it's the heat or the virus I cannot seem to shake, but this is how the trip is organized (or disorganized) in my brain.]

Oops! I almost forgot the cupcakes. Celebrations do require cake (especially since I left the confetti at home).

NOTES:

*DH and I both arrived with coughs and unknown maladies. I haven't met a respiratory virus I didn't like lately. This was just another summer cold-ish thing. I spent a couple of days in bed ahead of the trip to see if I could get past the worst of it. I did, but still took it easy - until the last day.

**Slinky is usually hiding in a back room. Aengus can be more social.

***Okay, there was perhaps a lapse in security that will prevent us from staying there again, but all's well....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.