Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sunday walk at the springs...

TDW and Hugo (just returned from the chase). Paddy came back this time.
We headed out into the wilds of the springs - DH, TDW, Paddy, Scruffy, Stanley, Hugo, Ruby and me. Almost immediately after we released her from the leash Paddy followed deer scent into the tall grass, flushed some whitetails, and took off. You must read that "took off" with excitement and enthusiasm.

Hugo had joined Paddy in the hunt, but quickly lost interest and came back to us. We called and called, but Paddy could not be distracted from the chase. We lost sight of her. Then we saw her again and she returned.

As we walked along another 25 yards or so she came across another scent trail and took off a second time. All I saw of the deer was one big rump above the grass with white tail high. The dog was gone.

It wasn't until we had planned a "triangulated" approach (TDW went forward. I stopped. DH went back down the trail) calling and calling that she returned - to me. She went on the leash as a reminder to stay close, but she was so tired it was really a waste of time. She wasn't going to run anywhere. We headed across the old wooden and rusted steel bridge towards the cliffs.


Dogs, tired, pant heavily as they walk the old bridge

Paddy, your ears are dirty.

Scruff approaches photographer
The cliffs are limestone - crumbly, rotten, limestone. There are paths along the bottom and some ledges about half-way up. There are a few small caves and a few seeps or springs where there is enough water to keep the maidenhair ferns growing.

We climbed up and walked until we could hear the rushing of a small waterfall, but could not see it. We were tired. We have not been walking lately - too tired from this virus. The dogs were tired. They are out of the habit of long walks and rarely get to run like this. It was about time to turn around, so we
At a stop on the cliffs TDW takes out the really good treats (L-R Stanley, Scruffy, Hugo, Ruby beg while DH watches)  



rested for a minute. TDW took out the really good treats and was immediately surrounded by dogs. He quickly ran out and the pups wandered away.  I briefly led on the way back, but I am too slow, taking pictures, looking around, trying not to trip on a dog, so TDW moved forward.

Small cave in the cliff with Maidenhair fern all around from the seeps.
Then, as we were moving down off the cliff, I slipped on some rotten limestone. I tried to stop at the next ledge, but I over-balanced and went over to the next level. Fortunately the next level was a thick layer of dirt and dead leaves. I sat up and spit out a mouthful of dirt and realized that nothing hurt. I saw no blood. I had all my teeth. Yea! Whew!

More ferns and moss.

A tired Paddy tries to perch on the cliff side.
DH knows that I will not hesitate to let him know if I am hurt. But TDW (who works with me) has never seen me make this kind of a fool of myself and was a little concerned. I explained that I had a rule with the kids, "No blood, no tears!"*

"But you are bleeding!" he said. Apparently there is a small scrape on my chin. It is red, but there was no real blood.

After catching my breath, I stood up, brushed myself off and headed back down the trail. Funny, the dogs all kept their distance ("Stay away from the crazy lady").


Naked limbs - the seed pods give it away - Texas Buckeye or Mexican Buckeye, Ungnadia Speciosa - Supposedly not a true buckeye http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/txgard/msg0819554626299.html 

Single seed pod

The cliffs above us.

Cave in the cliff.

Cliff walk
As we walked along the river we ran into a couple recently returned from Germany. We shared a few quick words of our love of the place. The fellow was training for Army Air Assault School. That is another thing we know something about. They were walking their rescue - a medium sized hound with the markings of a Jack Russell. She was entirely too mellow to be a Jack.

We left them to their walk and heard what must have been a large number of crows "haw haw hawing" in the woods.


Grass glowed gold in the sunshine as we headed back to the cars.
We followed the trail back towards the dam listening to the hammering of a woodpecker  in the trees behind us. I wanted to turn back to try and spot him, but decided instead to call this walk good and head home.



* What a terrible mother!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.