Sunday, January 27, 2013

I didn't fall off the cliff



The "title" is for the children. They have worried too much about my fall last week. Now they can skip the rest if they so choose.


TDW and I took the pack back to the springs today. Paddy and Scruffy were so excited they were shaking as the car turned left out of town and then right into the park entrance. They didn't see Hugo, Stanley and Ruby at first, but were ready to go as soon as the car door opened. I managed to grab the backpack (lunch, water and plastic bags) and lock the car as our friends cleared the hill down to the water and we escaped the tame picnic, parking, fishing area and headed to the wilds.

All the dogs behaved beautifully. They did not devil each other. They did not run off after deer. They explored within earshot and came back when called. I almost couldn't believe these were the same dogs we walked with last weekend.

Paddy and Scruffy stayed close to me. Perhaps they knew there were treats in my pocket. Perhaps they knew there was food in the backpack. Perhaps they were just keeping an eye on me as "one never really knows what the crazy lady will do." Whatever the reason I found they stayed close much of the time - surprising me at time when I lost track of them only to find them following along behind me.

We had a lovely walk through the dried grasses and fallen trees. It is a rocky place and wet/muddy at the ponds (especially with dogs jumping in the water and dripping or shaking dry along a narrow dirt path.

We saw a few signs of animals (some piles of bones, places where the deer eschew the established trail and press down the chest high grass. And there were signs of people everywhere. We had found litter thrown down along the paths and into the grass on our early walks. This time I brought a few plastic bags and I started picking up cans and bottles and wrappers. Some of the trash was new. Some was old -- along the cliff we noticed a number of rusted beer cans opened with the old "church key" opener. By the time we got to those rusty hunks of steel the bags were full and it was not like those old cans were going anywhere. We will gather them the next time through.

All in all we carried out three bags of trash and we could have picked up double that amount. I don't know about TDW, but I felt a little smug as I walked out with the garbage. I love to be out along these deer trails, by the river, on the crumbling limestone cliff side, in the grassy meadow, next to the springs and at the base of the waterfall. I love to watch the dogs revel in the freedom of this still wild bit of nature. But I am furious when I see the piles of cans and discarded bottles and sometimes piles of broken glass where the irresponsible among us have mindlessly abused that which does not belong to them. And none of these parks and wild places will survive if we do not love them and care for them, respect them and clean up our refuse. So I felt a little bit like I was paying for my ticket to the party. I will pick up trash in exchange for these few hours of good conversation and bonding with these amazing animals who are a big part of my life.

[Oops, sorry for the lecture.]

It was cool as we hiked in, but the sun came out when we were along the cliff. TDW took some beautiful photographs. I snapped away as well. I take snapshots and he makes art. If he shares with me I will share.

We ran into a few folks along the way - a couple of young men on the cliff, a couple just exploring this part of the park, a family on bicycles (they were VERY leery of this pack of big dogs) and a large family hiking (they were thrilled by our friendly band).

I was probably more tired than the dogs, but we hiked about three hours and that was enough for all.  I am not at my best when hot AND tired.

It was almost a perfect day.

NOTES:

To my sister: Yes, sometimes it is smart to "slide down the steep spots on your butt" and so I did - this time.

Trash: I just went to empty my pockets to drop all these dirty clothes in the wash and found two of them full of even MORE trash - sardine tin, bottle tops, granola bar wrappers and the like. Really!? (Read that with exasperation and follow with a sigh.).

Photos: Below are a few of my shots. As you can see we all had a blast. There will be a follow-up post with all the photos that worked in some way or another.



Scruff never looks at me when I am trying to get his photo, so this was a lucky shot. Hugo is not cooperating.

Paddy's "crazy" look.

Angel hair ferns around some springs.

I love the rock-falls, but they scare me too. I try to stay away from the cliff where slabs shadow the path.


Rock for a "swimming necklace" just above the creek (no, I did not bring it home)



I was trying to get the carving on this tree and caught a nice photo of Ruby and Stanley. (Usually Ruby is too fast and Stanley does not cooperate with photography.)

Hugo LOVES treats. He was not sure if anyone else noticed I dropped one. A second after this photo and the biscuit was gone. Hugo started looking around like, "What, me eat the cookie? No way."
Cookie? What cookie?

Everyone sit. Guests get the treats first.

"YUM! Gosh that guy is nice. Those were great treats!"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.