Monday, May 30, 2016

The doberman

The rain finally stopped.

It was hot...and humid.

Paddy and I started too late in the day. Really. But we needed to get out-so we did.

On the way down to the park we passed the workers - fixing the siding on a neighbor's place.

On the way back up the hill we noticed they had an unrestrained doberman wandering the yard with them.

The doberman saw us.

He barked.

No one made an effort to restrain him.

We considered, headed to a parallel street, and made it home...hot and sweaty...and whole.

We counted more than 10 squirrel-planted pecans in OUR yard. Prevented from mowing by the wet we are all seeing things growing in the wrong places.
Bindweed or Wild Morning Glory (Ipomoea species). Yes, it is an invasive. Yes, it is a menace. But I love it anyway.
How can you not love this sweet face?
Not a snake, but a snaky looking thing.
Coneflowers.
Also called "Mexican Hats."
Small wafer ash tree.
I forget about these trees until the wafers seed containers form in the spring.
I've been watching for these purple leatherflowers and now have 3 spots to observe.
I wonder if the flower hasn't been damaged by too much water.
Bud of the leatherflower.
Mesquite catkin. It was hard to find some close enough to photograph. One good sized tree was abloom about 10 feet up - where the sun could catch them. So many of these trees are below the canopy of the woods.
This little grouping of trees seems to wait for me...
....presenting me with  this bouquet of honeysuckle.
The sliver -cup of the moon "pouring out" over the woods. Does this portend more rain?*


NOTE:

*It reminded me of the way (I had always heard) to properly hang a horseshoe (for luck). You hang it "legs" or "horns" UP so the luck doesn't pour out.  But then I read this...there is a difference of opinion on hanging horseshoes! http://www.transmet.com/for-good-luck-do-you-hang-a-horseshoe-with-the-open-end-up-or-down/

Yeah...well, this is what I found about the moon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_moon

FINAL note - I did call for DH to come pick me up, but he missed the call. It is a good thing I didn't wait.
































































No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.