Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The Crapshoot or Angels Watching Over Me


He felt that life was largely a crap shoot 
and that we simply need to muddle on as best we can, 
being as kind and loving to one another as possible, right now. 
It’s a pretty good philosophy, 
no matter what one’s religious beliefs or lack of them.



~Michael Dirda, 
book columnist for The Washington Post
referring to Kurt Vonnegut





Yeah.

A control freak of sorts, lately I've been reminded (repeatedly) that control is an illusion. Call life a crapshoot, but that sounds kind of negative (especially if you are bad at craps). A more positive spin was provided in an article I read this week which states that "you've already won the lotto."*

The article shares that concept of giving thanks and recognizing that we are who we are and what we are not only because of our hard work but because of a series of incidents (good and bad), accidents, blessings, circumstances, and lucky throws of the dice. Further, the article postulates that gratitude for our good fortune (for things turning out okay) makes us better, more generous (and genuine) human beings. It makes sense to me.

I've always known there are at least two ways to look at everything and the positive has always worked best for me.  I attribute my habit of thought first to my mother's example - I remember her seeing the good in everything to the point where I knew what her response would be - even to tragedy. Almost immediately she would see the "other side" in any situation**

Miss Haley Mills also deserves some credit too, making the Disney Pollyanna character believable and worth emulating. Most of my life I have been "playing the The Glad Game"*** - looking on the bright side of things.

And in a more challenging way, Brother John Totten, SM**** always asked us to look at things from a different perspective. He would physically turn his hand over while saying, "on the other hand." We exercised our minds and spirits in his course, Philosophy of Religion and God, as we attempted to achieve insight.***** Was a semester long enough to establish a kind of muscle memory for the mind, the heart, the spirit? Maybe so. I hope so.

My friend and I discussed the Times article on one of our walks this week (when I could catch my breath to talk). I was sharing some "close calls" in my family history. I have a list of "I almost wasn't here" stories. My children almost weren't here too.

My brother writes a "gratitude Friday message." He can really capture that sense of good fortune and reminds us to be grateful.

So I am making a list. It isn't complete. It's a start. My list includes stories I have told and have yet to tell. There are "other sides" to them. They aren't all funny or pretty stories. My list may not make sense to you. It makes sense to me.

For now, here are the prisms casting rainbows on the wall of my sickroom (Pollyanna helped hang them - watch the movie.):

     I am grateful to the mule which kicked my paternal grandfather in the face causing such damage that the Marines wouldn't take him when he tried to enlist.

     I am grateful for the unnamed man from Rockport, TX who recognized my ailing maternal grandfather in the French hospital (pneumonia from mustard gas) and brought Uncle Oscar, a doctor, to him.

     I am grateful for Uncle Oscar.

     I am grateful for the inner tubes my traveling salesman grandfather carried in his vehicle and used to float away from the old river bridge where he was stuck during a flood.

     I am grateful for life being so bad in Ireland, Germany, Russia and other countries that people (many mere children) risked everything for a chance (there it is again - rolling the dice) in a new land.

     I am grateful for people who took in strays and orphans.

     I am grateful for the major who found the runaway.

     I am grateful for the tree a young MP climbed up and fell out of.

     I am grateful for helicopter pilots.

     I am grateful for following orders.

     I am grateful for nearsighted drivers.

     I am grateful for Toyota Camrys.

     I am grateful for all the stupid choices made and survived.

     I am grateful for the wise choices made in spite of ourselves.

     I am grateful for my mother's good cooking.

     I am grateful for the bravery, not only of my father, grandfathers, and great grandfathers, but also for the courage and resourcefulness of my mother, grandmothers, great grandmothers and other ancestors.

     I am grateful for all the friends, neighbors, aunts, and uncles who helped raise my parents, DH, and me. God bless the random parent.

     If our lives indeed are shaped by those who love us and those who refuse to love us (not sure who said this. I had the poster years ago.), I am grateful to both.

     I am grateful for things I cannot speak or write.

     I am grateful for the angels watching over all of us.


NOTES: 

*http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/22/upshot/are-you-successful-if-so-youve-already-won-the-lottery.html

**And she taught us there was good in everyone (so look for it) and that people are who and what they are for a reason.

***https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollyanna 

****http://www.marianist.com/?p=16358
As proof that the saying "only the good die young" is untrue, Brother John Totten was still living, the oldest member of the Marianists, as of the date of the writing of this post.  He had us reading Paul Tillich. Brother John said the material was challenging, but not too great a reach for us.

*****Brother John taught us that sometimes a good question was better than a mediocre answer. And if you achieved an insight there would be a large "I" on your paper. Additional excellence was noted with a plus sign or signs (an "I +" was a wonderful achievement).




Angel of God,
my guardian dear,
to whom God's love commits me here,
ever this day,
be at my side
to light and guard,
to rule and guide.
~ Prayer to my Guardian Angel

2 comments:

  1. I have been reminded that I have not said thanks for a couple of other things. So, to be more explicit:

    I am grateful for REFORGER 1983.

    I am grateful for the Castro Convertible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brother John Totten died one year after I wrote this post. I know he rests in peace. Heaven is brighter (and a whole lot smarter) now. Brother John was a treasure and lives on in the hearts of all his student. A portion of his obituary follows:

    John Reynolds Totten

    April 28, 2017
    Bro. John Reynolds Totten died on April 28th, 2017. He was 103 years old and had lived Marianist religious life for 83 years. At the time of his death, he was the oldest member of the Marianist Province of the United States.

    Bro. John was born into a military family and moved many times during his youth. He was very proud of his heritage. He was born in Fort Monroe, VA, went to grade school in the Panama Canal Zone and went to high school in San Antonio.

    He met the Marianists at St. Mary's University and joined after his first year. In his early years as a Brother, he worked at various high schools and institutions in St. Louis, MO. He taught a variety of subjects. In 1954, he came to San Antonio to teach at Central Catholic High School.

    In 1957, he began his long association with St. Mary's University. Bro. John was a philosophy teacher who was revered by his students for his clarity and kindness. He was also involved in the formation of the new members of the Society of Mary. He was an outstanding student of Marianist life and was instrumental in encouraging the study of Marianist spirituality and the Marianist charism.

    He is survived by: nephew, Jamie Totten (Jodie), Hendersonville, TN; niece, Beatrice Britton (Peter), South Hamilton, MA; and, niece-in-law, Sandra Totten, Rock Hall, MD.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.