Monday, May 23, 2016

Goin' to Chicago!

Whenever we were going on a trip my mother would sing, "going to Chicago" as we planned and packed. She just sang those three words and laughed. And we never really were going to Chicago.

I, however, was going to Chicago. I heard Mom's voice in my head  and sang along as I planned and packed.

We started early - in the rain. [DH was a champ this week as he spent a good deal of time driving - and he didn't even get to go to Chicago.]

Girlfriends are sisters by choice. I've written about these ladies, KKM and SAS, before. I continue to be in awe of them - they are brilliant human beings. And they graciously put up with me. How lucky am I?

We three met in college - three girls from different places (Chicago, Fort Worth, small town Texas), but with similar close Catholic families. We have been friends through good times and hard times for over 40 years. Each of us chose a different field and found very different work and I am fascinated to hear about what they do. I often talk about the way our children "grow" us as we learn from their experiences. In a similar way I grow from exposure to my friends' work, their dedication to their families, their views of politics and the world, and their generosity of spirit. They are bright lights. I am blessed to know them.

Some trips together are very busy (weddings and such where our time is not our own). This trip felt like a spa weekend (or what I would expect from one). I took a bit of a break from technology and relaxed. We talked, took walks, went to a musical, drank in the beauty of the arboretum, shopped (they have such good taste and always help me pick the right thing), ate out (so we didn't have to spend too much time in the kitchen),  and enjoyed a "girlfriend luncheon." We were present and enjoyed that presence.

SAS's husband who also hosted the weekend thanked us as we left for the airport. He thanked us for making his wife happy. And we thanked him back - for making her happy too (and for making us coffee each morning!).

I returned home with a new blouse, memories, support for renewed attempts at a healthier lifestyle (and a new app), suggestions for a better coffee pot, family recipes, and a peaceful spirit.***

I love my friends.


PHOTOS: 

Okay. This was not a "see everything there is to see in Chicago. This was a "oh my goodness DH is a gem for driving me to the airport and back" and "three friends get together for the weekend" and "SAS is an incredible hostess" photos. You were warned.

Chasing the mail truck up the highway.
We headed east - to "Big D" first - to the airport.

From this skyline (through the magic of Southwest Airlines) to...
...the green suburbs of Chicago!

We ate our first meal at a restaurant holding "biker night." There were more bikes, but I was moving fast.
I was shocked to see the time when I went to bed...I think this clock was off by an hour.
My friend's home is relaxing and lovely.
I don't think this Drury Lane Theatre is related to the one in London. We saw Hazel - the musical! Note the buses.*
We laughed and laughed! Bet we see this in NYC soon.
The staging was clever...sliding sets.
This is a lovely and comfortable theatre.
Did I mention we ate? Chinese food. The orange beef was the winner!
I call this "Morning still life"
This is "Morning still life with coffee"
KKM brought me this book...my friends know me.
There's never enough coffee, is there? We headed to the diner for breakfast one morning.

The Morton Arboretum** - formerly the Morton (as in SALT) Estate. What a gift!


While the parking lots were full, we were not crowded on our walk.



Everyone has asters. We are all connected.





We didn't even think about climbing the trees!
Evergreens

The tips of most of the evergreens showed new growth. This was particularly spectacular.
This is not the maze (although there is one). It must take a great deal of work to keep these boxwood hedges trimmed.
Ozark Blue Star (I want these!)
Carpet of pansies.
A living billboard.
I think this is a dogwood in a planter of pansies.
There were ground squirrels and regular squirrels.
May Night Woodland Sage
Viburnum - amazing



Molly Schroeder Doublefile Viburnum

We saw these blooming and I thought, "It's got to be a single petaled rose."
Here's the bud.
Another bloom and leaves. We saw the stems and they were solid-thorn - definitely a rose.

More running around:


At Fresh Thyme grocery store everything was fresh, orderly,  and clean.
The entire store made me happy. It was a small store - convenient.
Cheesy bread at the pizza place. We were hungry and the pizza disappeared before I could take a picture.
The dining room ready for the luncheon.
Now THAT'S a Caprese salad.
Spinach, berry and pecan salad
Ham and cheese sandwiches two ways.

The plane was late, but the flight was an easy one. And DH was there to take me home.

On our way home from the airport - now under the full moon. 
This is a better view - one can tell the moon from a street light. I love the bright lights, but am not a city girl.


NOTES:

* DH and I always joke about being followed by the "blue rinse" brigade (even as we prepare to join that august group). Buses full of elderly women followed us on our first big trip (our honeymoon) and always seemed to appear on subsequent trips. The audience for the musical consisted of many seniors (senior to us!) and a very few youngsters on school trips.

** http://www.mortonarb.org/visit-explore/about-arboretum

*** As well as plans for another visit - soon.

FINAL NOTE - Our husbands are really special people. We got lucky/blessed - whatever you call it. And we are grateful for our good fortune.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.