Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Hats, sunflowers, and family

We moved fast down dark roads under the waxing gibbous moon.

"Turn where?" asked DH. "Are you sure?" He consented to come along - lured by the promise of a new hat and a visit. There are a couple of ways to get home, but DH hasn't driven south as many as I have. Lately it makes sense to break up the trip, stopping an hour away. And I needed to check on some business... then there is the bakery.

As we drove the lonely stretch of tollway, a weird wall cloud made us wonder if the flooding we'd heard about was continuing. We've surely had experience driving through rain and water, but were hoping for clear weather.

Wall cloud to the south

The clouds moved away and the sky cleared for us to see a beautiful sunset and the moon overhead. It is a long drive through the countryside and, having started late, we wanted to grab something to eat, get settled, and rest before the day I had ridiculously over-planned.

We would be traveling from sunset to sunset.
Instruments glow in the car.
While the moon appeared full due to shaking hands and a moving vehicle (no I was not driving), the true full moon was a week away.
We were greeted with flowers at the front desk of the hotel where we are always made to feel welcome (chocolate chip cookies and coffee anyone?).
The sunflower in the arrangement echoed those lining the roadway. We would see more.
Late supper at the Whataburger. It was a sketchy crowd this late at night. DH is not seriously hurt (in case you were wondering).

We had only two scheduled appointments but there was a long list of other items to fit in-between. We'd be picking up one nephew after school and we would be attending the senior scholarship award ceremony at the high school from which my brothers, sister, and I graduated. We were awarding the first memorial scholarship honoring our baby brother, a man beloved of the town and dedicated to community service and education.

First, was the stop at the bakery. Having discovered this was the place our grandmother and uncle would often take us to pick out a cookie or two, I try to make sure I stop for a few cookies (to eat and share). I try to exercise some self-control, but am not always successful.

Our mother made a "spreckled" sugar cookie - traditionally for Christmas.  The recipe (and taste) is very different, but I wonder if our name for the cookie is a modification of this name. Colorful nonpareils are confetti sprinkles atop the plain cookie.

We took care of some family business and then drove the hour south to my hometown, arriving at opening - time to plant crinum lilies at the family plot. Earlier efforts to plant some blooming perennials have had mixed success. A woman who had been working across the cemetery from us came walking over. She is the mother of a high school friend. She identified herself and said she knew me, calling me by name. I acknowledged she was right - "Yes ma'am. I am."

We were gently warned about planting trees or shrubs as they become difficult for the mowers to manage. I reassured her we were planting flowering bulbs and that most of what we have planted can be mowed down. Efforts will be made to ensure out plants don't get out of control a la the forsythia we fight at another family plot. We commiserated about that green menace - seems they have removed it completely.  We caught up on the family and we avoided getting thrown out of the cemetery* Brushing the dirt off our hands and loading up our sharp-shooter (best shovel ever!), we called "the hat man" for directions.

He is family. His mother was one of those women some of us are lucky to have in our lives. Forty-plus years ago I am sure I drove her wild with my teenage angst, when I needed to talk to a grown-up and had already worn out my own mom. Yes, his mother was my mom's best friend. OC bears her first name. DV's daughter bears Mom's middle name. See? Family.

DV has trained with the experienced "wise ones" to make hats by hand with beautiful tools.** His shop is full of various styles and "blanks" waiting to be claimed. There was a good deal of story telling and discussion of styles this day. I had one idea, DH had another. My attempts to sway DH's selection was extraordinarily unsuccessful. It's his hat, after all.

I asked him to model a few hats. It's hard to find a hat to fit DH.
Working on an old mistreated slouch hat.
A wall of hats, new and old.
Pick a hat.
Under construction

On our way to the hat shop, we drove past a sweet brick home. "I could live there," I told DH. "I love that house." Imagine our surprise to discover that the hat man and family had recently moved there! So, a tour followed and we promised to return to visit soon - to pick up the hat and to enjoy a cup of tea on the porch.


Isn't this a sweet place?
Esperanza
Hibiscus
The perfect spot for an afternoon chat and a cup of tea.
A grotesque jug made by Texas historical potter Steve Sprinkle.
Sunflowers at the edge of a field
An unusual day lily - shared with us (which reminds me that I have some potting to do).

Next we lined up at the middle school to grab JRF for a visit and snack. Where to go? Well, we decided the Dairy Queen. My first job was at the local Dairy Queen. The current DQ is a far cry from the place I worked. I tried not to break anything.***




After our late lunch we changed clothes and headed to the high school where we met with counselors, family and an amazing young lady who received this first scholarship. She was delighted and delightful. We were second to make our award and stayed through the rest - an hour and a half of bright faces heading to college and proud parents with sore arms from constant applause.

It was a great gig. I look forward to next year.

We continued visiting with family in the parking lot under crazy clouds. Kisses and hugs and future plans moved us to the car and the four hour drive home. It was a sunset to sunset trip. We only hit rain an hour from home.

What do you call these clouds?
Gorgeous.
The sunset beckons.
Beautiful.


NOTES:

* I have a history with that place - a story for another time.
**I'm just showing a few of 'em here. I'll post more in another place.
***I was notorious for breaking things. The original DQ burned down quite a few years ago. This is a fancy rebuild.


2 comments:

  1. Give me a call next time you are planning to come through town...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will. We were moving fast this trip arriving at 11:30 p.m. and leaving at 8:30 a.m. We were only there to sleep (and check on a plumbing repair).

      Delete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.