Monday, March 23, 2015

Fog on the creek

I lured DH to the park this morning. Actually, we just agreed to walk last night and so were determined to get out (and test Paddy's new seat belt). Fog shrouded everything. I cannot remember a morning this foggy in a good long while.

So we proceeded slowly down the road the 8 or 10 miles to the park. Paddy shrugged out of the harness. More work/adjustment is required there. Traffic was well paced and we were able to slow for our turn-off with little concern.

We have never seen the park quite like this. Spiderwebs, usually hidden, were bright with tiny drops of water.


I didn't realize how many spiders there are out here. It is probably better not to know. Still, they were beautiful with the mist showing off their construction.*

Besides a good walk for all of us, I have been anxious to see if the bluebonnets were really blooming. TDW had take a few photos, but I needed to see for myself and gauge the "big" bloom. I suspect it will start this weekend.

The sun struggled to break through the fog.
DH walked the dogs down one path before letting them off the leashes.
Everything dripped.
We were dripping too before long.
The first one we saw today. It is in a little clearing in the woods.
The bluebonnet buds are everywhere.
Look who is sneaking off to get in the creek.
Fog on the creek.

We walked towards the creek, but got off trail early and had a hard time finding our usual path. In a small clearing in the first fence-line woods we found our first bluebonnet of the day.

At the creek dogs jumped in and out. Paddy sported a nose of green algae, silly thing.

Paddy watched some imaginary something on the other side of the creek.
Sweet girl looks a little silly with a green nose.
Scruffy wagging his tail.

Then we cut across one edge of the larger woods in order to check one of the large clearings that has promised loads of blooms. It is just starting to deliver.

Buttercup
Those lovely yellow flowers that have been everywhere!
In the meadow in the woods the bluebonnets have started their bloom.
So lovely - and just the beginning.
Dots of blue in the meadow.
I worried a bit about us all tromping on the plants. Dogs don't care where they run.
One more bloom as we depart the meadow.
Heading back towards the cars.

"Bird leaves" on the path.
Some twigs were not just decorated with drops of moisture, but also garlands of wet spiderwebs.

Scruffy running the meadow.
DH heading up the path.
I talk about Scruffy always coming back for me. Well, here he is.
This was one stunning web. So many were just a mess of stands, a necklace of diamond dewdrops.
Another view.
This is the photo enhanced. The color is too bright, but allows you to see the web in more detail.
I cannot wait to see these plums. Plum jam?
Another fabulous spiderweb (the photo at the start is this web enhanced).
I wonder if there are two varieties of plum here.
Scruffy comes back for me one more time. He then got behind me on the path as if hurrying/herding me on.

Then we exited the woods and headed back to the car. Not only were the dogs soaked from the wet grass and dip in the creek, we were wet too - our pants up to the knees. Neither one of us had thought about wearing waterproof shoes so our feet were cold and wet so we hustled home so all could dry off.**

NOTES:

*I am not so sure I like the enhancement feature of this computer, but I am playing with it. I wanted to show how lovely these spiderwebs were and this seemed to give better contrast.

**We stripped down in the utility room and started a load of laundry immediately. We hurried in case the mailman or other visitor arrived to wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.