Friday, March 13, 2015

Back in the woods at last!

Today we headed out to the creek for the first time since the snow and sleet, rain and hail. I would have called it the monsoon season had not so much of the precipitation been frozen.

We were late as I had to make room in the back seat for the puppies. DH likes to drive and so we have taken his car most of the time. But OC and JB are borrowing the car for a road trip. JB detailed the car last weekend. It is so clean that we have been afraid to use it (I think it looks cleaner than when DH drove it off the new car lot). Anyway, I will admit that I live out of my car. I often have "stuff" in there I have been too lazy to move or that I am planning to take to someone.*

Once the car was clear I had to wake DH up from his nap.

Our friends were in the meadow. The dogs came running. All parties were thrilled to be outside in the sunshine and (finally) mild weather.

Part of the meadow/prairie must have near-surface springs as it is often a little soggy underfoot. Today it was standing water - more a bog than a meadow.

We all headed to the creek and then walked back through the woods.

Dogs waded, swam, chased rabbits, wandered across the creek (without permission!), smelled everything, ran through the woods, and enjoyed themselves. Humans caught up with each other, discussed education and politics, tried to keep pups from straying too far, and took a few photos. We made arrangements for lunch tomorrow and headed home.

We leave you with some pictures - starting with the early wildflowers that are reminding us that spring is almost here.

I have no idea what this is called.

But it is so lovely that I posted two photos. These were blooming along the creek.

This white blossom barely peeked above the bluebonnet leaves.

Even I was surprised after I enlarged this photo to really "see" the blossom.

These tiny yellow flowers bloomed along the creek.
The are not impressive until you see the whole pale green swath dotted with yellow. It is wonderful color in a still grey and dead area.
This was almost IN the creek. These bluebonnets seem to thrive amid the rocks.
The place is mad with the promise of bluebonnets.

Paddy walking through a clearing full of bluebonnet plants.
Log rotting at the edge of the woods.
Toadstools growing.
TDW and DH framed at the edge of the woods. I think that may be Paddy on the far right.
Old nests are abandoned across the prairie. I suspect this is from my favorite - the yellowjacket.
Two empty bagworm cases.
I noticed this bagworm because no other dried leaves were on this shrub.
Bagworms are becoming a favorite because of the camouflage.
Interesting conglomeration of fossils made visible by the color of the sediment surrounding them.
Another conglomerate. It is hard to see these fossils as they are the same color as the surrounding rock.
I noticed this guy as he had been running across the rocks.
But he stopped for a photo.
Empty seed pods of a yucca. Insect holes give witness to an attack.
The creek is full. It appears one of the dogs shook off a drop of water on my lens.
Stanley enjoying a dip. He is always so serious.
Wild child Ruby making waves.
Soulful Hugo "shaking it off."
Scruffy, Ruby and Hugo in the foreground as Paddy thinks she can sneak-off across the creek.
Scruffy poses.
Paddy's "walk of shame" after she is caught across the creek without permission.
While so much of the area is still asleep, we see the flowers and trees starting to wake up.


NOTES:

*I know you are curious. Here is a partial list:
    egg cartons (for my egg lady)
    plastic bags for recycling
    gift bag from the "last" bunco game (it was nice - wine glass and small bottle of wine)
    gardening stuff I will need for Sunday's air-layering
    art works
    craft paper
    bag of trash
    bag of bubble wrap (insulation for air-layering)
    step-ladder (don't ask)
    dog cookies (for my dogs, duh)
    two hats (one baseball, one boonie)
    bags of empty soda cans - these were actually gone. I gave them to my friend who sells them for
      food for stray cats yesterday. I figure they should be listed since it is only by chance that they
      were gone.


  I will add notes after I have a chance to check the wildflower books.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.