Saturday, March 14, 2015

A long-time friend (I had not seen in a good while) and a new friend for the pups

Many years ago* YC had some extraordinary coaches, JH and PE. For many reasons (I will not go into here) there is a special place in my heart for both of them.

PE (now PEH) and I recently reconnected** and she asked where the dogs and I walk. We do have a number of lovely spots, but I knew she meant the wildlife area and invited her to join us today. Our timing was almost perfect - we arrived within minutes of each other. Humans and dogs off-loaded and prepared for dog introductions.

We tried a modified "become a pack" process*** and kept the dogs on-leash for about 50 yards or so into the park. My guys were having none of it and dragged me over to Bob (another chocolate lab). There was some growling, but you would growl too if someone was getting a little close to your sensitive areas.

Dogs were separated and we walked down two somewhat parallel deer tracks. The puppies were released for more investigation and more sniffing - and then they were off!****

We headed to the creek for some swimming and then cut through the woods. With the humans catching up on parents and kids and husbands and such, the dogs wandered more than a bit. They were so good and always came back when called.

I must confess that, once inside the woods, it is easy to get turned around. Travel through the woods was (as always) hampered by brambles. We followed deer trails knowing that they would serve two functions. Eventually we would be clear of the woods and we would be able to see where we were walking as we did so.

Snake season will soon be upon us (if it isn't already). After a few days of warm weather, Jake***** and friends are probably ready greet us should we become careless. So I do not walk through high grass. I do not cut through fields. I follow paths. Here the deer trails (and some hunters' paths) crisscross the wildlife area willy-nilly. At one point I thought we were headed west, but looked up at the sun (yes, there was sunshine today!) and realized that we had been moving more northerly.

I suspect we may have crossed the property line once, but continued to use the sun and the sounds of traffic on the roadway to navigate (OK, OK. We also used PEH's smart phone.). The map showed we walked completely around the wildlife area.

We skirted the fence-line, found a familiar trail, and headed towards the car park. Back at the gate there were hugs and final sniffing - and a promise to walk again soon.

Bob! (Photo by PEH)******





NOTES:

*No, this is not a fairy tale, but there are some wonderful characters!

**It's only been 15 years - half a lifetime (for YC anyway).

***I read about this before Paddy and Scruffy were introduced at the pound. See http://walkinthepark-padimus.blogspot.com/2012/06/scruffy-finn-new-member-of-pack.html

****How do dogs figure out who will be a friend? I suppose they trust more than humans - it is an extension of that unconditional love they have for us. I am sure there is a book on it.
Nah, just Googled it, in case you want to know:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/60196/why-do-dogs-sniff-each-others-butts.

***** Long our name for any snake.

******This photo is in one of the clearings in the woods. I managed to move something on the camera and ended up with no photos. A camera is as good (or bad) as its operator!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.