Monday, March 16, 2015

Air Layering of magic fig trees...

It is just over a month since I spent a Sunday afternoon with DK air layering pear and fig trees. It was "early" according to directions, but neither of us could wait. We had watched the Youtube videos and decided to start early with an agreement to do additional layers in March and April.

You can see the weird looking things in the February 8 posting.

What a difference a month makes.

I spent the first 15 minutes taking photos. My friends' fruit trees were blooming. The bees were going crazy. I stood too close to the buzzing, but managed to avoid any stings. [OK. I know too many photos of blossoms here, but I couldn't help myself!]


Shades of pink were to be found all over this yard.
Caught this bee mid-flight.
Another bee slowed just long enough....
...to be seen.
Don't ask me which trees are which.
I just know these blooms are enticing for the bees and for me.





Two bees on this blossom.
One stayed and one flew away.
These bees let me get VERY close.
When I turned to the fig trees (figs don't bloom) I saw the rosemary (next to the prolific fig trees) blooming.
They had mowed, but one wildflower escaped the mower.
We added bubble wrap around the air layers when the weather turned cold. We thought it might help insulate any tender roots. When removing this one I saw movement. A small spider was also using the bubble wrap for shelter.
I am not necessarily afraid of spiders. But I am not much of a fan. They just look creepy...really.
Here is the first air layer for today.

OTHER STUFF:


I looked up and had to wonder what is living in the hollows of this tree. See the two holes?
I saw these wonderful logs in the wood piles. It seems some of the wood is softer and decomposes faster than the other layers.
See?
This looks like a styalized flower.
FYI - cedar logs.
My daddy used to make birdhouses like this.
And, once again, the clover called to me. It's almost St. Patrick's Day.

























No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.