Sunday, March 8, 2015

10 o'clock? 11?

What time is it? What time is it really?

I hate daylight savings time. I have read multiple articles explaining how unnecessary it is. All I know is that my body objects twice a year.

The good news? I was not the only one whose body was confused. While we were walking "late" for a Sunday, traffic was minimal.

So, on this grey and damp day, the pups and I headed to the park. We had a rain shower early this morning and we hustled to get a walk in before the next waive of rain came.

It has been alternately icy, windy, cold, wet and dismal for weeks it seems. I seem to remember one sunshiny afternoon - one.

But, sunshine or not, we jumped the puddles and dodged the dripping trees.

We saw a couple of squirrels (besides us), an earthworm, and hundreds of birds. A raptor sat high in a tree as we reached our turn into the park. Cardinals flitted back and forth. Dove watched for an opportunity to eat pecans crushed on the ground.

A couple of times I saw a single dove perched on a wire (alone, a lonely dove, a lonesome dove?). Each time I reached for the camera, removed the lens cap, and looked back at the dove only to see it startle as a car drove by.*

Our walk back up the hills was blessed by a symphony of birdsong. 

Grey sky - skeletal trees - raptor
There he is. I wish I had a telephoto lens (of course, it would just be another thing to fumble with).
Trash tree, but so lovely with the rain dripping off.
Vinca minor carpets the woods by the park and it's starting to bloom.
Dove silhouetted against the sky.
Grey sky threatens more rain.
This nettle will not develop enough to bloom. It is in a regularly mowed spot.
Our little earthworm friend taking the opportunity to move.
Birds perched over a neighbor's house.
Doves huddle a little further down the street.
Crushed pecans - tempting morsels for the birds.
OK, so this plant is considered a weed, but when it is one of the few things blooming and blooms in profusion, it makes a lovely swath of purple along the roadway.
Wet dandylion puff



Notes:

*While this is a better camera, I am still learning. And I have learned that it is darn-near impossible to take good photos with dogs on a leash. They try to be good, but don't know to be still until the shutter clicks.  Or creatures  bolt when they see the krackens. Or my "one-handed" photography is simply too slow to catch the moment. I find better opportunities when I can let them off-leash. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.