Sunday, October 26, 2014

Sunday morning hike with a BIG SURPRISE

Instead of meeting for breakfast, the oldest child and I agreed to take the dogs to the far park. She had never been there and we have been planning a trip for next weekend (taking a young friend to experience BIG DOGS).

We are still having unusual October weather. It is so bright out and quickly hot. It was hard to decide if I should wear my regular glasses or my sunglasses. It is hard to see the paths and deer trails here.
So we wandered down to the creek fighting our way through the brambles. This part of the creek has no easy trails and we had to go back.

We got up to the prairie (this park is mostly prairie bisected by stands of trees marking old fence-lines) where OC and I had seen a deer earlier (dogs were distracted by smells). I was looking around and trying to find the path to the easier part of the creek. Suddenly I heard OC exclaim (I will not repeat it. I have heard worse.) in a tone that communicated concern. As I turned I saw Ruby, Hugo, and Stanley running towards us. I greeted them, "Hello, guys!" And OC knew all was well.

I had not expected to see TDW today as he was going to walk early, but it is Sunday and chores can delay one.

HE knows the good paths and we headed back to the creek.

All too soon it was time to go to finish the "to dos" for the day.

After one last chase of a rabbit (not MY dogs, they were already leashed) we loaded up the car and headed home - tired, dirty, wet, and happy.

It was a good omen. As I watered the plants (waiting for OC to arrive) I found a dollar in the flowerbed.

But we were greeted by el diablo as we arrived at the park. I need to research when the goldenrod will be gone.

Sunflowers are still blooming in the park.

These dogs don't enjoy the park, do they.

The dogs had gotten a little too far from us. I called and whistled...nothing. So I used the only word they both clearly know - "COOKIES!" They came running.



Five dogs in the creek.

On this part of the creek there's a nice limestone ledge and the creek is usually pretty shallow.

Little yellow composite

One of the many prairie grasses.

We find rust spots in many places in the creek.

Upstream

Periodically the dogs would gather up - and then take off again. [Hugo and Ruby in the back, Stanley and Paddy in front.]

Irresponsible dove hunters leave their empty shells all over the park. We picked some up this trip and will continue. It is pay-back for the use of the park as far as we are concerned (and I let OC carry the trash bag this time).

What a handsome boy!

She loves her mother!

Scruff posed again. I am posting all the good ones as they NEVER cooperate with me like this.

OC climbing the slippery bank.

Scruffy gets in the way of my downstream shot.

The creek is down, but was dry just a few weeks ago.

Upstream.

Paddy?

What?

Scruffy?

Huh?

OC trying to pick up shotgun shells, but dogs keep coming up and splashing.

Post in the creek bed.

Here's the trail.

Selfie with flowers.

Snow on the prairie

Old stump near piles of shells.

Tree line near the park entrance. Leaves are changing.

Another view.

OC and TDW walk ahead with Hugo, Stanley and Ruby after the rabbit chase.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.