Wednesday, October 8, 2014

I am not obsessed with death. I am obsessed with life...and a good story.

DH teases. We all tease.* A good sense of humor is essential in a relationship. It will get you through some of the tough spots we all have. We have had some challenges, but I still believe, in the balance of things, we have had more than our fair share of good times, blessings, positive karma, call it what you will.

Anyway, DH represents me as overly (questionably?) fond of cemeteries. This is not true. I am interested in all of life. Death is part of life. Ignoring it won't change that.

I am fond of stories. And everything tells a story, or can.

And I am a collector of things...shells, rocks, staples (don't ask - it's for an artwork) seeds...but as I try to simplify my life and divest myself of collected things (like the skulls stashed in boxes in the kitchen and my office and bags of ring-pulls**) I have "stashed" many things here. The camera allows collection without addition (to what I consider the treasure trove and the children call "the nightmare"). The blog provides a place to store the story.***

For some time now I have been fascinated by the inscriptions on memorials. You may have noticed a few tales written here - tales of some of the people memorialized in our local cemetery. More of those are likely.****

On our recent trip, we had a few occasions to travel through cemeteries. We did not seek them  just so I could hang out there. Each of the cemeteries we visited were part of larger tours (we went to see Yeats' grave, the Sligo Abbey, and St. Kevin's monastic settlement). While visiting these spots I noted the interesting stories told on some of the Irish headstones. They have piqued my curiosity. I have taken a few photos. I will be doing some research. I hope to share some stories.

For now, I am stashing the photos (and thoughts thereon) here. I am posting them out of order of collection. This is how they loaded into the post.



I. Cemetery on the grounds of St. Columba's Church of Ireland, Drumcliff, County Sligo:

Genealogists take note - Drumcliff Cemetery had a complete listing of all interments!
In Fond and Loving Memory of KATHLEEN ELLIOTT Tully Hill Sligo Who passed away peacefully on 8th March 1986 And of her loving parents WILLIAM and FRANCES SHAW Also her husband SAMUEL Who passed away peacefully on 26th December 2008 Also her niece Baby VALERIE SHAW
Forever in our thoughts

My attention was drawn to what appeared to be a dollar sign ($) on this stone. But reading the inscription changed my mind.
AN ACT OF HUMAN KINDNESS ONCE SET IN MOTION ENDURES FOREVER. WILLIAM MEEHAN 1910-1981 KATHLEEN MEEHAN 1913-1978


This stone stands in stark contrast to the other more "wordy" inscriptions.
 MONDS NUNSTOWN DRUMCLIFFE

This family is now out of space.

In Loving Memory of MY DEAR WIFE Eliza Butler who fell asleep in Christ on the 3rd day of June, 1916 aged 66 years also her husband HENRY died 4 April 1933 and their sons James died 17 April 1946 George died 19 May 1977 and his wife Georgina died 12 November 1973 and their daughter Ruth died 30 Oct 2007 Also their son Alfred died 18 May 2005

William Butler (or maybe someone else*****) and George Yeats
Cast a cold Eye on Life, on Death. Horseman pass by. W. B. Yeats June 13th 1865 January 28th 1939. Of course, Yeats provided these directions and epitaph in one of his last poems.

Grave behind: Treasured Memories of ROBERT BOLTON Died 11 - July 1942.
His wife JANE  Died 18 - Dec. 1943.
Their son-in-law WALTER OLDFIELD Died 22 - OCT. 1971
His wife LILY Died 2 - April 1982

George Yeats more humble stone flat in the space.
George Yeats 1892 - 1968 [Actually, her name was Georgie, but Yeats didn't like it******] I find it interesting that most great artists have one who makes their art possible. George was that person for Yeats. He was able to become his best self because of her.


The inscription starts who knows where and goes on forever including the cap.
GARETH EWING born 24 Sept. 1978 Died 15 Dec 1978
THOMAS EWING died 14 May 1896 aged 53 years
His wife MARGARET died Aug 5, 1914 aged 67 years
THOMAS JAMES EWING died Sept 2, 1938 aged 58 years
His Wife LILIAN died Sept. 29, 1963 aged 82 years
R. CECIL EWING died Aug 26, 1973 aged 63 Years
RICHARD EWING died November 26 - 1982 aged 38 Yrs
THOMAS AUBREY EWING died Feb. 14, 1965
ANNA ISMENA (ENA) EWING nee BARBER died Apr 1, 2000 aged 92

II. St. Kevin's Monastic Settlement graveyard, Glendalough, County Wicklow:

I took this photo because of the Astro Turf (and yard art). I only read the inscription later.
Erected by THOMAS LEONARD Sheen In Memory of his father JOHN died Jan. 1830 aged 51 years
His brothers CHRISTOPHER died June 1841 aged 18 yrs.
PATRICK died Nov. 1842 aged 26 years
His Mother ELEANOR died Dec. 1879 aged 88 yes
Her grandson JACK LEONARD died 31st Nov. 1924 aged 14 yrs
His sister MARY STOREY died 30th Nov 1989 aged 74 yrs
Her husband JACK STOREY died 21st Nov. 1992 aged 82 yrs
Their son GERARD STOREY died 25th Oct. 1995 aged 41 yrs

Michael Fortune erected this stone for his father and ended up the second to last inscription thereon.
IHS In Loving Memory of JOHN FORTUNE Knockfin died 26th Oct 1952 aged 65 yrs 
His wife ANASTATIA died 6th Feb 1953 aged 63
Their daughter MARY died 13th Nov 1971 aged 44 yrs
Also their son MICHAEL died 7th June 1981 aged 52 yrs
Also his wife BRIDGET (BUN) died 19th NOV 2013 aged 83 yrs
RIP
Erected by their son MICHAEL
[Except for Bridget, not a long lived bunch]

I had no clue I would be able to "pick-out" this inscription - sort of.
Here lieth the body of Luke Toole of Annamoe. He departed this life the 3rd day of August 1793. This stone was erected by his disconsolate widow Mary Toole. He was a friend to the wayward; father to the orphan; his door open to the poor. [This was a difficult read. I believe the last quote to be from Psalm 82:3]


Many stones were worn and lichen/moss covered.

Another challenge.
According to "Find a Grave"******* - Here Lyeth Y body of the Rever'd Phelin Bryan Dec??? y ?3th 1759 aged
57 yrs [My eyes see most of this. I do not see "Bryan" in my photo, but theirs does show it. It could be there has been damage since the posting on FOG.]

Cannot be read

I was moving so fast - scooting under these that I have no idea if the inscriptions can still be read.


III. The Dominican Abbey, Sligo town, County Sligo:


This was a difficult one.

O Lord have mercy --- the soul of Bridget Casey alias Mulrooney (?) who departed this life May 22 1801(?) also her consort Owen Casey departed 11th July 18-- aged --- also John Casey departed this life --Sept ---.[No search has turned up any help so far]

This was almost easy after that.
Here Lyeth the body of John McGowan who departed this life 11th March 1787 aged 51 years

And this was not too difficult in places.
Pray for the soul of John ___ who departed this life the -- th of December ___ aged 81 (or 91) years This stone --- by his grandson James Clemens or Clement.
There are a couple of explanations for the defacement of this gravestone. One is that the purported father of an alleged illegitimate child paid to have it done. The other is that the carver was not paid and defaced the stone as a warning to others who might default on payments. Either way, it is a shame.
Here lyeth the baby of James XXX who died Dc the XX XXXX Aged X years Erected by his Mother XXXX XXXX

Now blank stones stand in the yard of the Abbey.
NOTES:

*One of my nieces used to introduce me thus, "This is my Aunt A. Be careful. She teases."
**OK. When I re-read that even I thought it sounded creepy. I messaged a student/artist I know who works with skulls and teeth. I offered her the assortment lurking in the corners of my life. She said, "YES." Guess I will be working on that this weekend. I also have shared the ring pulls with a woman who crochets those cool purses. Look people, it's recycling!
***Seeds and art supplies will still be gathered, but hopefully there will be more time to PLANT seeds and MAKE art instead of allowing stuff to pile up in boxes and the frig.
****In one local cemetery the inscriptions read "sunrise" for birth and "sunset" for death - rather poetic.
***** http://www.theguardian.com/books/2000/sep/09/poetry.wbyeats
******http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgie_Hyde-Lees
          http://www.theguardian.com/books/2002/oct/26/poetry.highereducation
          http://www.thenation.com/article/160781/imperfect-life-george-and-wb-yeats
******* Find a Grave can be found: http://www.findagrave.com/


While researching this post I found an organization  - The Association of Gravestone Studies     
[ https://gravestonestudies.org/ ]. Yeah, I joined.

Oops! My pups will be offended if I do not include this photo:

The graves of the pets at Coole Park. The tall stone appears to say something like "Poor little Minnie" and the broken stone shows "GYP 1890" I believe. I cannot make out an inscription on the third. There - now Paddy and Scruffy will be satisfied.

3 comments:

  1. Re: "AN ACT OF HUMAN KINDNESS ONCE SET IN MOTION ENDURES FOREVER. WILLIAM MEEHAN 1910-1981 KATHLEEN MEEHAN 1913-1978"

    My wife and I were visiting the grave of WB Yeats in the summer of 2015 when my wife spotted this gravestone. She was standing looking at it, admiring the wording when a couple came over & very nicely asked what her interest was in the stone. It turned out that the grave was that of the husband's parents. His mother had played under that tree as a little girl and had always said that that was the spot where she wanted to be buried. He had actually composed the inscription himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing this information. I do think it is important for us to remember. And we are all on this walk together.

      I am so glad to hear from you. Are you travelers as we are or is Ireland your home?

      Delete
  2. “I mean, they say you die twice. One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time.” — Banksy (and also found in the philosophy of ancient Egypt and more). I'll keep saying names (where possible - this blog has rules)...at least keeping memories alive.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.