Friday, October 24, 2014

Friday sky and butterflies

OK. That sounds pretty dippy, I admit.

Every sunrise this week was stunning. The clouds glowed as the sun rose - sometimes a bright orange ball, sometimes a mild creamy moon-like sun, and sometimes a blazing fiery globe that left dull spots before my eyes (I drive east each morning and cannot always adequately shield my eyes.). I have tried to time my commute to avoid the blinding sun, but that isn't always possible.

Today the view was so beautiful that I had to pull over and get a few photos. I have pulled into the Baptist Church parking lot in the past, but I was afraid I would lose the moment and found a good spot long before I reached the church (and some days, if late, the Baptists do wonder what I am doing behind the church by the dumpsters).


I puled into a subdivision where fields used to be. There is still an empty field near the entrance so I had a clear view of the sky.
You can see why I had to stop.

View of the sky seen from my office building.
 After work I accepted an earlier (days ago) invitation to take a look at the insects by the butterfly garden (between the math building and the science building). Butterflies do not cooperate. They require time and patience. And the still-hot noonday sun chased me away before I was entirely satisfied. Still, these are a start.

I probably took 50 photos to get these few.

This was an accident. I don't know what these are, but will be asking some experts.

Most of the "butterflies in flight" views were awkward or worse. This was ok.

A better shot of the body of this insect.

Another flutter!

This is nice of the wings.

I now know I have to plant this in my yard...the insects love it.

Another wing spread.

I will be working on my nature photography. I wish I could convey the magic of standing at the edge of the garden with these lovely creatures fluttering all around. It has become my "break" - to walk to the garden for a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.