Sunday, October 19, 2014

First time at the springs in almost a year

DH has been suffering from allergies and upper respiratory issues for months. He has been getting very little sleep and thus has not been his usual jovial self. But last night we tried an old reliable medicine (Confession time - it is the one we give the dog to "mellow" her out a bit. I convinced DH to try it and kept my fingers crossed).

He slept so well that he did not get up early to run. He kept on sleeping. I smiled to myself - if he doesn't run, I will get him to walk with the dogs and me. After breakfast we loaded up the car and drove to the park near the airport. The number of vehicles (and haphazard way they were parked) told us that hunters were still out, finishing up the last couple of days of dove season. It was late for the hunters to be there and we decided not to risk that park.

The springs were next on our list. Sunday is not the best day to walk the dogs at the springs as there are runners and bikers and cranky people who are not glad to see our clumsy/friendly puppies. Still, we thought we were early enough to miss the crowds and we kept the pups on leash for the two or three mile hike.

The storms of this year have done some damage at the springs. Trees of all sizes had been uprooted. Some trails were damaged. We not only saw the work done to clear the trails, but we could hear chainsaws and hatchets in the woody area along the river. A trio of boys on a parallel trail hustled out of the way when they heard the crack of a tree starting to fall and realized they might be in its path. We watched the tree as it fell well clear of the boys, but close enough.

We found ourselves on paths we have taken many times before, but also got turned around a few times. We wandered beyond where we had planned (not lost, but not found either).

The walk was a reminder that we need to visit the springs more often. The number and variety of fall wildflowers (some we knew and some we did not recognize) was amazing. So often we forget the fall flowers as they are not as "showy" as those blooming in the spring.

Soon after our recent trip I had the thought that I needed to be more mindful, more present in the moment. When we travel we see with open eyes. Shouldn't every day be approached the same way. Would our days not be richer if we viewed our surroundings as if we were visitors? And aren't we really just visitors here?

Walking the paths:


The path into the woods beckons.

DH and Scruffy head off while Paddy is stuck with the poky photographer.

We started seeing damage and work almost immediately. Here a huge tree has fallen and is cut.
DH took both dogs so I could get a photo and we traded dogs back and forth throughout the walk.
At one point I mentioned to DH that we were on a deer trail, not a path.
We came upon a large clearing - fire zipped through here. It was lucky the fire didn't spread further. DH and Scruffy (in the background) examine the burned area.
DH examined one of the new maps placed throughout the park. I examined "el diablo" weed - goldenrod.
You are here! We stuck to the paths (and deer trails). When we walk with TDW we often find ourselves in the middle of a field with no clear path. All I can think is "snakes," but I haven't see any out here (but we all know they are here).
One of the new trail markers. The red and blue trails pass here.
More new trail markers posted on the tree.
DH and Scruff leave the prairie and head into the woods along the river.
Scruffy turns back -sweet baby often turned to see where Paddy and I were.
We kept seeing roots in the pathway painted orange. DH figured out that they are markers for trees that needed removal.
And here is the tree marked in orange paint and with a white X.


Plants/flowers/vistas:

White asters bloomed everywhere.

Honeysuckle raised its dragon-heads as we headed through the gate towards the bottom of the dam.
Mullein
 
We were surprised to see these still blooming along the road by the river.

 

  
 
 
This may be the photo of the day. This bumblebee in flight above the, um whatever plant.

Some type of sunflower about to bloom (?) with a trail marker in the background (new camera can do these kinds of shots!)


The liatris were blooming out.

I always watch for the liatris to bloom in the fall. It loves the worst - rocky ground.


   
Closeup of the devil - goldenrod is blooming everywhere.
 


This bird flew in and was almost camouflaged as it sits among the dried beans/seedpods

This little bird flew in and waited for me to snag a few pictures. I am not sure what this tiny feathered creature might be.

OK. No clue what this is, but it was blooming in a number of spots.

Loads of vines help block the sky.

Squint - just beyond the tree is the river.
Old and young trees filling out the woods along the river.
Sweet white blossoms.
Golden-eye (?)
Prickly pear with red fruit (Look at those thorns!)
Another cactus.
This one had orange fruit and shorter thorns.
OK. I don't know. I just thought this was an interesting leaf.
A view of the area by one of the streams.
 
Looking upstream at a bend in the bank where the sandy bank has eroded.
 
Fall has seemed long in coming, but many of the grasses have dried and leaves are changing color.
Wild verbena - one of my favorites, perhaps because it blooms early and continues until the first freeze.
 
This wispy little purple flower hugged the ground. I only saw it in this one spot.
View across one of the "lakes"
Fallen trees semi-submerged in the water.
I have no idea what this weed/shrub is, but it was lovely and heavy with fruit.
 Bark and stuff: 

Burls at the roots of a tree.
Thick bark on an old tree.

This hollow tree must provide shelter to many creatures.

I love the rough bark of this tree.
Brackets on fallen tree.
Sawdust rests on some of the brackets on a fallen tree that has been cut up for removal.
Another strangely barked tree. This bark seems to peel off in sheets.
NOTES:

1. I will continue to try and identify some of the wildflowers.
2. I love the new camera.
3. It looks like my kids were here:

The park hosted a trail run last month (according to the signs). We saw a number of spots of chalk marking and then saw this (probably marking the 5 K, but we claim it as marking the way for us).

BIRD photos cropped:
I finally remembered to edit the bird in the tree.

Here he sat and waited for the lens to click. Then he flew away.


2 comments:

  1. Loved the photos and your blog notes! The purple/red stemmed plant with the red berries I think is poke weed. I am not sure that is spelled correctly, but my mom loved poke salad (polk???). I would never taste it, but she and her sisters would pick, cook and eat. She always cautioned us not to pull it when we were pulling weeds. Sometimes we didn't listen! I am glad you have a new camera and appreciate DH for his patience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend talked me into getting the camera and I was afraid that it was "more camera" than I needed (or could figure out). I am still just learning, but it does some things automatically. And the photos have been beautiful.

      I have heard of poke weed, but don't think I have seen it and known what it was. I will do some research. Right now I go from bright spot to bright spot and take the things that catch my eye.

      I had to laugh at the big chalk "F" as that is our "write in the concrete" thing. I can point out a few around town. For many years my grandfather's HCF was in a sidewalk in downtown Georgetown.

      Delete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.