Saturday, December 8, 2012

Too many cars and the gift of fear

Decisions, decisions - too many options for this evening.

My tired self decided I did not have the stamina for an evening out, but the pups and I needed at least a short walk.

Leaves were piled everywhere as if the trees all dropped them on cue. I moved carefully along with a vision of "leaf skiing" down the street. The pups were pulling me along hard. If I started to slip they would drag me down - I have experienced that disaster before.

A neighbor was hanging green garland along her white picket fence. She would follow that with white lights if the decorations on her porch were any indication. The rest of our street was alive with lights. There were inflatables and icicles and even a "Merry Christmas, Y'all" display. ["Bah Humbug" say we. Lights will go up soon, but it is still too warm to feel like the holidays.]

The dogs investigated everything, started at the barks of the neighbor dogs, and alerted on the tall man walking down the street. We didn't know him so I short-leashed them and gave him the sidewalk. Acknowledging the courtesy (and the size and energy of the dogs) he nodded.

Cars rushed up and down the road. No one yielded at intersections and no one appeared to consider the neighborhood or the speed limit.

The park was dark and seemed empty, but three vehicles exited as we threw away our trash and turned for home. I was glad that we hadn't wandered in too far. Safety is always an issue. Earlier a truck had stopped along the road as we had scooted down the hill. It all seemed strange - the gift of fear.

It was time to be inside and safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.