Thursday, October 5, 2017

The Neighbors Might Be Worried (Confused?)

I was up early today. It is a big day - Amphibian Class tonight. I am taking more of the day to make sure I have everything ready - PowerPoint (50 slides - don't judge, my sister said it was perfect), my notes, hand-outs, activities...

So, I walked Z around the block and then hosed out two old metal garbage cans I promised to the ceramics folks.* It was actually two cans and three lids (am I asking you "don't judge" too much? We have no idea where the third can is, but you knew that).

I loaded up the garbage cans and two garbage bags of cans** and headed to school.

Delivered all.

Now I am sieving tapioca*** and washing my frog shirts (thank you, Anna Banana).

I am inspired to recycle all the plastic garbage cans that we still own, but were made redundant because of the giant bins now used. I plan to keep that thought until the weekend when I may have time to hose them out and haul them to the recycling center.

The neighbors won't know how to act. If I mow as well, we may end up with a block party.

 [Of course I went by the ponds on my way to school, but only about 1/4 of a mile down the road as I truly had no time for more. Still, I needed to know. One Crested Caracara perched at the tippy top of the tree. I suppose "tippy top" is not a very scientific expression, but I like it. And I love the caracara - such a stately bird. But I am worried about the other - I have not observed the second bird in 24 hours.]
 
NOTES:

*We use them for oxygen reduction in Raku firing. You can see the process here -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZhpaEM7sA0

Basically, some glaze is designed to work best in an atmosphere where the oxygen is removed. How do you do that? Well, you take the glowing hot pottery from the kiln and put it in the garbage can with combustible material (newspaper or sawdust or whatever). The hot pots set the combustibles on fire. The fire sucks the oxygen out of the garbage can. The glaze behaves as it will. [Watch for photos of results to follow in another post.]

**Did you see how I did that? Garbage cans and garbage bags of cans. We save our aluminum cans for a friend who uses them to help fund the neighborhood cats. We love cats too, but she is our "agent" in rescue.

***How else would you approximate the feel of frog eggs? This may not work, but it should be fun.




1 comment:

  1. Did I mention I've learned the frog pose in yoga? PS I got the can references. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.