Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Duck, Duck, Goose


I don't feed the birds because they need me; 
I feed the birds because I need them. 
~Kathi Hutton


Why don't we try a different park? asked my friend.

We try to schedule early morning walks* when we can. This week looked like a good one for walking and a change of scenery is always good.

They are good friends (Zelda and Keelynn).
We found a spot where they can "rough-house" and run. They are easier to walk after this.

This old park has been recreated. New broad sidewalks wind along the creek connecting another park and part of town. MANY varieties of ducks and geese wander the creek banks and swim, looking up to see if anyone has brought stale bread to offer.

I think there are easily 50 ducks and geese on the creek. I'm counting tomorrow.

There were other walkers about as well as runners and a woman who disappeared up a side street after spreading corn in a few places (for the ducks and geese).  A couple arrived to toss bread at the water's edge.**

Squirrels are busy hiding winter rations as dogs slowly stalk them.

This sweet little Fox Squirrel was picking up pecans and minding his own business when a dog started paying too much attention.
Our Zelda loves to stalk squirrels.

It's a peaceful walk unless the dogs decide to investigate something far off the trail. We tried to take them to the water's edge, but they aren't very interested.***

We've watched a Great Blue Heron almost every day. It fishes and eases up and down the bank of the creek. It has startled and flown just a little further down from the first spot. It is a lovely bird and we are glad for the continuity. We wonder if it will stay the winter of move along with cold weather..




All kinds of wild birds fly around and through - rock pigeons, white-winged doves, mourning doves, sparrows of all kinds, crows, Blue Jays and more. As we continue our hikes we will have a long list.

The creek banks are flush with trees, grasses, and wildflowers. Many we know, but some remain a mystery for now. Imagine the seeds that float down in floods and are deposited along the banks.

Waterwillow. I love this sweet flower.

[Imagine all kinds of photos here. I'll edit and add later - life is interfering with "writing time."]

We have recently noticed the spiders growing on one of the bridges. Most are orb-weavers. We grabbed a number of photos of the webs - finding only one spider "at home." These photos are at the end of this post, for those of you disturbed by spiders and webs. Trust me, I observe from a distance.

Finally, we discovered that we are a romantic community. A "love-lock" was on the bridge the other day. I asked my friend how long it would take before others joined it. Well, the answer is - one day. Now there are two love-locks. Stay tuned. I know there are more to come.

Love-lock #1
Love-lock #2 [These are some quality locks, folks! So says the unromantic old lady.]


NOTES:

* We walk the pups - she has an Irish setter puppy. I have Miss Zelda, the "parpoozer."

** There are signs posted directing that people NOT feed the ducks on the walkways. Our mystery bird-lover obeyed, dropping corn in the parking lot and grass (and recently on a sidewalk).

***Recently a couple of fellows had "intact" male pit bulls in the park. The dogs were aggressive (we stayed FAR away) and I consider this totally irresponsible. [My negative comment for the day.]




*****************************************************************************
SPIDER ALERT!
*****************************************************************************

Great spider and webs (webs are first - spider is last shot):


Yeah, I had to get this sun shot. I know, not good for the camera.
Once we started looking we saw webs everywhere. I think they are beautiful, but don't like to walk into them.
OK. Last web shot. Spider is next.


This spider is about 1 inch long in body. It is a Spotted Orb-weaver I believe. It had a marvelous web. I have these in my yard.

1 comment:

  1. I can hardly wait for the flowers. Glad Miss Zee has a walkin' buddy, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.