Sunday, October 1, 2017

The Days Get Away

Mothers understand mothers.
~A.L.F.

It was a quick trip. Miscommunication resulted in it being a solo trip. There was no time to misbehave - we (my sister and I) had an appointment.

Dia de los Muertos is coming and the Nave Museum in Victoria celebrates with a special exhibit. Families set up altars. Artists create retablos.*

What's a retablo?

A retablo is a folk painting of a saint - usually oil paint on tin (as opposed to a "santo" which is a carved wooden saint figure).

The request had arrived via email. They were broad. We could do just about anything we wanted - Day of the Dead themed or not - as long as it was no larger than 12 x 14 x 9. We could use tin or not. A saint could be the subject or we could focus on our "spirit animal."** BF  and I (my sister and I have been conspiring more than normal this year) talked a good deal about growing up blessed by our proximity to the Mexican American culture. Our participation now and in the future would need to honor that without stepping over any lines.

We discussed and rejected a number of ideas, even as we each knew where we would be going - she to St. Jude and me to Our Lady.

St. Jude Thaddaeus

We went to work. I was inspired by Requiem - a song/prayer by Eliza Gilkyson.*** I've worn out a CD listening to it (yes, you can wear out a CD) and and heard EG perform it twice in concert. It comes to mind with every flood. EG granted permission to use her lyrics and I moved forward. I wanted it to be simple and speak to faith and mothers.

One kiln after another has misfired (human error) this year.  [It has, in fact, been a semester of problems, hurricanes, delays, misfired kilns, miscommunications, works destroyed by thermal shock (people opening the kilns before they are cool enough.) and more.] I feel for the professor. He is new (to us) and getting his feet under him here. Whatever. Time was the enemy.**** I would have to make-do with what comes out of the kiln.

And I did.



11-1-17

Postscript: It is all over as of this week. I saw the bid sheet on another trip and so I know I won't be taking it home. I plan to make myself another, similar work. Guess we will see about that. I suppose I should make more than one - just in case - the kilns, you know.


NOTES:

*The retablos are sold in a silent auction. It is a fundraiser for the museum.

**My "spirit animal" is the badger - not the subject for this art work, I suspect.

***http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4847831

****Fall semesters often have this feel - no time. I was behind on almost every project (and I had 4) and so the other issues were more than frustrating. I'm already working ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.