Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Eagles, Merlins, Hawks...

Raptors, raptors everywhere.*

I stopped by the ponds to see if the Crested Caracaras were still there. They were.

I knew the rain from the week should have impacted these ponds - they were refreshed, but certainly not recovered. Still two trips disclosed some lovely birds.

I knew this would be too far, but I wanted to at least get the white at the edge of this far pond. I haven't seen a Great Egret here in about two weeks. The heron is at the far right - just a blur.

This morning I saw a Great Blue Heron, Mourning doves and feral pigeons. The Cresta Caracaras were still perched in the tree. One Black Vulture was in the dead tree I have photographed so often. A Red Shouldered Hawk flew low over the road and then into the hay field. A Merlin** perched on the high wires at near the first ponds. And, of course, the Neotropic Cormorant kept guard in the turtle pond.
A vulture on the dead tree. This would be the last bird I would see perch on this limb. [I lightened the photo a bit for a view of the entire trunk.]

By the afternoon a Great Egret joined the heron in the far pond, the caracaras were off, and a couple more vultures circled the area. Most surprising was that the dead tree had broken. Part fell inside the fence and part fell on the road.

Two big limbs broke. [That is a dragonfly, not a helicopter. Just got lucky with this photo.]

It was sad to see this spot the birds so love (to get a good view, I imagine) broken and littering the ground. We had already watched trees fall into the ponds over the spring and summer. I suppose we counted three or four down in just the few months we have been monitoring the area. We were surprised to see so much change in such a short time.


NOTES:

*Birds of prey, also known as raptors - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_of_prey

**https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Merlin/id


Another few photos of birds and the dead tree. These are taken from the other side, but show limbs that once supported many a bird.


I watched this Great Egret fly up to join this grackle.
I like the photo of the egret alone a little better.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.