Wednesday, October 11, 2017

NOT A SPIDER* - Field Trip With Birders

The Creator would appear as endowed with a passion for stars, 
on the one hand, 
and for beetles on the other, 
for the simple reason that there are nearly 300,000 species of beetle known, 
and perhaps more, 
as compared with somewhat less than 9,000 species of birds 
and a little over 10,000 species of mammals. 
Beetles are actually more numerous than the species of any other insect order. 
That kind of thing is characteristic of nature.

~ J.B.S. Haldane**

We were on a trip with birdwatchers in the middle of the week. We hiked a part of Chalk Ridge Park we had never seen. Normally we hike towards the waterfall and the swing bridge. But we have not seen that part of the park in 20 years.***

But many reports of interesting birds observed there plus an invitation to join the Williamson County Audubon Group convinced us to take a morning and head to the wild.

We knew one of the leaders, met some new folks, and were surprised by friends from our Tai Chi class. I, of course, fell behind the leaders, talking and snapping photos of plants and critters. DH learned more about bird songs and the few winged creatures that braved the cool morning. Most we already know - Black Vulture (30+) Chickadee (2+), Phoebe (4+), Tufted Titmouse, Cardinal, Blue Jay, Red Tailed Hawk (3!), Carolina Wren, and House Wren. We also saw a Sharp-shinned Hawk, Great Egret and Osprey at a different park. 

Many of these folks are serious birders. Matter of fact about identification, one or another of these folks would glance at me, say a name, and nod as if to ask, "Did you get that?"

I always smile and nod and scribble down a note on the back of a used envelope in my pocket.

I was as interested in the flora: Buffalo Bur, Liatris, Snow on the Prairie, Windmill Grass, Side Oats Grama, Bushy Bluestem, Maximilian Sunflower (and other bluestems) and a few other things I've never seen or identified before. There will be an hour or so of sorting photos and reporting our observations after I finish here -  and terrible photos to use. [The sun was too bright. It was in my eyes. I ran out of power. The plants are dying. I'd love to make more excuses. I was just lazy and talking, I fear.]

We observed a couple of fabulous longhorn beetles (fortunately there was a "bug person" along and I watched her find creatures a couple of times - I love it when I am not the only one distracted by things without feathers). About ten minutes later as we were leaving for another park I noticed something crawling on me - it was one of these beetles. I got a good photos and lured the insect onto a lottery ticket (Hey, I pay my idiot tax) so that I could drop it out the window.

Here he is:

The body is just a little less than an inch long. This is a seriously impressive beetle.

Some of the other stuff (I just saw the photos taken by one of the birders. She had a wonderful camera, but more importantly, she has a wonderful eye. Wow! That's all I can say. I may need to get a better camera.):

This is where the wrens were making themselves known.
Lovely meadow.
The river winds around in this park, just under the dam.
Stunted little liatris blooms.
The birders are sometimes more interesting than the birds...maybe it's just me.

 And in another park there were some lovely grasses. I only got decent photos of a couple.

What? Silver Bluestem? Maybe?
Some call it Bushy Bluestem. Others call it Brushy Bluestem. I call it lovely.
Bushy or Brushy, it is found in damp/wet areas, like this ditch. I am envisioning using it for an art project, but I will need some near home (that is easy and legal to access/harvest). I think I have found some.

NOTES:

*It's a beetle - a fabulous member of the longhorn beetles. I am inordinately fond of them.

**Haldane did not say God was "inordinately fond of beetles." He said the Creator had a passion for them. Fabulous!
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/06/23/beetles/

***It was a middle school field trip. I remember one grandmother commenting that it went fine as we walked back to the parking lot. I replied, "I guess so. No one died." It had been chaos and someone got hurt, but not seriously. I hated field trips. DH was supposed to go on this one. He had jury duty so I got to take his place. It must have scarred me and I've not been back to the park, until today. 

I have a field trip on Saturday. [It is with 13 children and each will be accompanied by a parent. It will be fine.]


OK. The other good photo of the beetles...Sphaenothecus bilineatus.

Amazing beetles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.