Saturday, February 11, 2017

The Woodpecker

Tap-tap-tap.

Tap-tap-tap.

Tap-tap-tap.

I had wandered outside trying to understand the layout of the house. They were having an estate sale and I walked from room to room ending up in the garage. But I had already been in a garage - and this wasn't it. [The house was for sale too and I was curious about the whole property.]

I once thought closets were somehow magically "in the walls" so enchanted garages aren't too great a stretch of imagination for me. But no. These people had two large garages - the second likely used for boats or trailers or a shop.

Outside now and gazing at the acreage "out back," I took a calming breath and heard the steady tapping overhead.

Tap-tap-tap. Tap-tap-tap.

"A woodpecker or sapsucker, I guess," I thought. I gazed at the top of the trees nearby,  attempting to follow the sound. It was dizzying. I moved for a better view and to steady myself.

Tap-tap-tap.

The sun was now bright and I shielded my eyes. An older fellow came outside and said, "Woodpecker - it's up there somewhere."

Tap-tap-tap.

"There." A small swift movement of its head drew my attention. I showed the man where the bird was clinging high up in the oak tree.

[In days past I would probably have left it at that. Grateful to hear and see the bird, I would have acknowledged its message from birders now gone and headed home to finish my Saturday errands. But now I need to know or at least make an attempt to know - to identify the species. What if it was an unusual bird or a "usual" bird that wasn't supposed to be in this area at this time? I felt (and feel) an obligation to fellow birders to do my part.]

I memorized its markings. The familiar black and white striped plumage one sees on so many woodpeckers/sapsuckers, a large vertical streak of white on the back, and no red. I remarked how difficult it is for me to identify woodpeckers. The small differences (to me) mean a lot and so I usually rely on experts.  <Sigh> No experts here today. I was on my own.

I watched as the bird moved around the limb. I took a few awful cellphone photos. They would not be detailed, but perhaps would show enough to aid my later search.

Tap-tap-tap.

We have bird books - a number of them. But I almost always start with Google first. It is so easy to type in a description or a few words, "woodpecker, central Texas" or "woodpecker, white vertical stripe."  The resulting "suggestions" brought a probable identification - Downy Woodpecker, female.

"Of course," I thought, "This explains the lack of red."*

Then I went to Cornell** to review multiple photos of female Downys.

Yes, that was it!

My final step was to note the bird in two databases.*** Even though the little bird was not going to cause any excitement - no caravans of birders with field glasses rushing down the road - it adds to the overall knowledge and, hopefully, understanding of creatures and our evolving world - my two cents deposit for the day.

NOTES:

* Mom always commented on the showy male birds and dowdy females. The male Downy has a "thumbprint" sized blotch of read on the back of his head. The female has similar other markings, but no red. And, of course,  I second-guessed myself. Was I sure there was no red? Did I get that good a view? It is another reason I take bad photos. While some detail is lost, any red would have been there for me to see.

For photos see: http://birdsintheyard.com/black-and-white-birds.html

** What do you want to know? Take a look at All About Birds. https://www.allaboutbirds.org/

*** eBird (Cornell's database for birds) and iNaturalist (database for everything)

Now you can see why it was hard to find the bird. She was working so hard...tap.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.