Wednesday, February 15, 2017

How Many Woodpeckers?


Zelda and I headed out for a walk in the middle of morning rush. I would so much rather walk before the rush, but I had tried to eke out just a little more sleep today.

It was not to be. Z stood outside the bedroom door whining at 6:45. She is a placid, quiet dog. When she vocalizes it usually means something. So I begrudgingly rose, dressed in whatever was to hand (dressing in the dark can create some interesting outfits) and headed off.



The sunrise was lovely - streaks of blue and pink among thin clouds. The waning gibbous moon peeked through the naked twigs of overhead trees. Morning birds were out. And we headed towards the park.*

Just outside of the park we heard some loud calls/screams coming from the woods. I've never hear anything quite like it. My thoughts went through the catalogue of experiences...what was it? I was fairly sure it was a bird or birds. I saw nothing through the brush and we continued into the park.

Zelda hasn't had a good run in a few days - not since she rolled in some horror and had a chilly shampoo in the yard. I've refused to let her off the leash anywhere but our yard since. Today I thought it worth the time and risk to take a run in the park. But we didn't make it to the field.

Tap-tap-tap

Darn...

Tap-tap-tap

It was another woodpecker.

This time the tapping sound echoed across the park... a drumbeat calling me back to the huge old pecan at the edge of the woods.

Zelda was not distracted by the sound and kept following the park-smells as I stood at the base of the tree, looking up. There it was - that small movement that gave the bird away. It appeared to be another Downy. But, strangely, before we left two more woodpeckers joined it on the pecan. It surprised me - three woodpeckers on one tree.

I'm not sure what the others were (WHEN, I ask, will I start carrying a set of binoculars?), but one did have more than a little red on its head. I've looked at the woodpecker rogues gallery on eBird** and believe the other two birds were likely male and female Red-bellied Woodpeckers.

We headed home, Zelda without a care in the world. Me, well I was planning tomorrow's walk.  It will include staking out the old pecan to see what birds may show up for breakfast.


Yes, there is a woodpecker in this old pecan....

NOTES:

*I have been lazy these days - not always walking all the way down to the park. But today I was determined to start regular LONG walks again.

**https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red-bellied_Woodpecker/id?gclid=CjwKEAiAlZDFBRCKncm67qihiHwSJABtoNIgp-kYBSSIxBi8Nu1BOV6PLhi2zbrmVFKWlg8Sx4zdvRoC32rw_wcB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.