Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Eating Our Way Across Southern California

 We have been traveling and so we have tried to avoid chain eateries as much as possible.

Our first stop was the Mexican restaurant a short walk from our hotel in Corona. Miguel's was very good. We thought we were going to "eat light" by ordering appetizers. We were wrong.

There were too many choices.
Chips were good. I wasn't too crazy about the "salsa."
But the nachos grandes were GRAND indeed. The quesadillas were fine, but unnecessary.

Lunch on our way to Palm Springs [Just typing that makes me laugh. We wanted to see the mid-century modern architecture and try out the sky-tram.] was in Beaumont, California at the Country Junction diner. It was the diner to end all diners. Deborah was our waitress and she was fabulous. This is the place where locals eat. The owner stopped at the table a number of times. We felt like we were home.

Someone has painted a watercolor of the place.
They had poured the coffee almost before we sat down.
The homemade salsa was great...
...as were the chips...nothing out of the bag at this place.
I had a classic burger, but they had me at "chocolate malt."

I'll be honest. I am going to be on soup and salad for a month after this trip, but it was worth it. In Palm Springs we skipped the dinner theater (sorry, I had to) and at at Norma's Italian Restaurant. It was a tiny place too and we had to wait a bit, but it was worth the wait. DH and YC had pizza. I took the waitress' recommendation and tried the chicken piccata. Again, the owners kept watch and were gracious to all (even one cranky patron who didn't think he should have to wait).

Simple cheese pizza
Chicken Piccatta
Maria Pizza
No need for a "To Go" box.


A miscommunication had DH and me drinking coffee and reading in the lobby. We thought the kid needed more sleep. We snore. We are used to it, but we forget that others might have their sleep disturbed. So...we enjoyed the hotel coffee. Then we all grabbed a quick breakfast sandwich on the way to Joshua Tree.

Coffee and anthropologist mysteries - perfect pairing.
Sometimes fast food is what you need.

On our way home we found an unusual but good dining spot in 29 Palms.  Kitchen in the Desert is a quirky spot - specializing in burgers and fries, but with other options.

A traveling friend taught me to photograph the menu for future reference. I don't do it enough.
My "signature burger." You have to love a burger with bacon, spinach, and arugula.
I had curry/split pea soup as my side, because I knew DH would share his fries.

Enough! Our last meal was seafood at a chain-ish place, McCormick & Schmick's. It is an old reliable for us and, after an afternoon on the ocean (more on that in a later post), we needed seafood.

It will be salad for a month to recover, but worth it.












1 comment:

  1. Yum! I'll have to be on soup and salad for a month after just reading this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.