Sunday, November 13, 2016

Sunday in the Park with Zelda

We were up ridiculously early, but waited for the sun.

Geared-up in fleece,* we would hate to disappoint those expecting to see the crazy woman and her raggedy dog, we headed off briskly. I added a walking stick.** Too many people are letting their dogs loose in the early morning hours. I intend to be prepared.

The sun, surrounded by wispy clouds, urged us on past houses, trees, and power poles so that we could get a better look.



We were part of a sparse group of early risers - the old man on a bike, other walker in the park, and fitness guy in his headphones and sweatband.

Admiring the doves (when they didn't surprise and whoosh up from their feasting on crushed nuts) we noted them all along the route. This is a good time for doves (in spite of hunting season). Pecans and acorns fall from the trees, roll along the sidewalks, and drop off the curb where they are crushed by tires. The tender bits are thus freed and the birds find them quickly. This is why the chickens have been out. Pecans are so much taster than chicken scratch!

I suspect these doves are waiting for us to vacate the "pecan orchard" part of the park.

Yesterday was busy. I was more tired than I expected and I was having a bit of a stiff-spined morning. Sturdy Zelda gently pulled me up the hills toward home.

Breakfast was waiting.

NOTES:

* Grey fleece vest isn't too weird, but the bright yellow, green, blue, red, and purple hat defies style. Made for a long-ago trip to Europe, it brings back memories and, most importantly, keeps me warm. It is also bright to insure the early morning drivers see us.

** This is my grandfather's walking stick/cane. He didn't mess around - this thing is substantial. I think my Dad used it too. And I know that every Christmas shepherd for 10 or so years at Sacred Heart School used it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.