Friday, July 22, 2016

The Mural, lunch, and lots of hugs

A Facebook/music friend had shared photos of a mural under construction in a rural community some 2 hours drive from here. "Look it up," she said. "You will be interested in this group." I said that I wanted to see the mural and was told that the artist works on the mosaic "most days."

Well, I was certainly interested in checking things out - especially the mural taking shape - a tile and glass and ??? creation in a narrow walk between buildings. And I also just happen to have a glass and mosaic artist friend who is almost always up for an adventure.

ROAD TRIP!

After we found out the Comfort Cafe would be open, we headed to Smithville,Texas for the day.

The Comfort Cafe where you pay what you can afford, or work for your meal, and you can also donate more to the organization.

Let's talk food first. We ordered the turkey and bacon sandwich and the hamburger (all the way). My friend has a more "delicate" appetite than I do, but half that turkey sandwich was gone in an instant. It took me longer to eat the burger because I took my time...it was so delicious!

Turkey sandwich (it has a fancier name, but you would know it on the menu - and you should!
Cheeseburger. OK, the bun looks a little "man-handled"...
...because I had already taken an enormous bite! It was actually a bacon cheeseburger. And there is no question it is in the top 3 burgers I have ever eaten . [Hey - 3 way tie - I cannot decide!]
My friend could not resist the Peanut butter cup chocolate brownie cupcake (heavenly dessert!). She shared a few bites with me and, well, what can I say? WE WILL BE BACK!


 PLEASE NOTE: Currently the Comfort Cafe is open on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. They serve a goodly variety of foods including salads, sandwiches and breakfast. It was definitely worth the drive!


The Organization:

SerenityStar.Org is a safe community for drug and alcohol rehabilitation. It provides a 12 step program, residential facilities, work training and opportunities, exercise and yoga. They are self-sustaining and are a 501c3 organization. For more information please go to their website: http://www.serenitystar.org/#!home/c1iwb You can also go to their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Serenitystar/info/?entry_point=page_nav_about_item&tab=overview

We met a number of young people working at the cafe who shared some of their stories and provided more information on the program. They were delightful.


Painted mural outside

 The Mosaic: 

I am not going to give it away, but do want to talk about the work we saw. There are pieces of mirror and glass and ceramic. A story is coming together here. It is already stunning and will be amazing when finished.

Here are a few photos.

Messages are incorporated herein - FOR YOURSELF, NOT BY YOURSELF.
Dog and tree are coming to life!
Because we so love birds I need to show the wing and tail. You see this creature flying.  But to see the rest you will need to go visit the Comfort Cafe! Go this weekend! Go next weekend! I recommend the bacon cheese burger!
A garden is blooming on the wall!

OK...and there were hugs! We felt like family when we left. Of course, I attribute that to my friend who makes everyone feel at home - feel like family.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.