Monday, July 11, 2016

Some of the creatures - Ireland

I love dogs. I love insects. I love birds. I find cows and horses interesting and beautiful, but I am afraid of them.

On our recent trip we came across a number of creatures. Some had their photos taken. These are a few of my favorites. Some are in other posts, but I thought they should be together in one spot.

On a trip where we are less rushed there would be more and better photos.*

I moved 0878 to the front - she was just the loveliest cow. We came upon this herd at Kilmacduagh Monastic sight near Gort, County Galway.** I would love to spend a week or so in this area - exploring Kilmacduagh and walking the woods at Coole Park [Oh, and maybe taking Rena McAllen to tea/lunch for a long chat].
Sheep dogs we watched perform. They were amazing.
One of the many many black birds we saw everywhere. I struggle to know the birds at home, so ....
OK to just say "seagull"? I'm not sure where this was. It could have been on the ferry when we crossed the Shannon or at any of the 3 or 4 other ports we visited.
This cow was watching as we toured ancient sites on the Dingle Peninsula on a grey grey day.
Sea bird flying over in Dingle town.
On a last evening in Dingle town I detoured to the harbour to find a large group of gulls scavenging.
Dingle Harbour
My friend, Joe, Doolin, County Clare. Joe was in a field grazing. We walked past a few times each day. I would gather grass from the roadside and lure him over for a chat. I have film of him walking across the entire field for a treat.
Ladybug and thistle, Cliffs of Moher, County Clare
Will also not try to identify the bees, flies, and such. A buzzer and thistle, Cliffs of Moher, Clare.
Another flying critter, Cliffs of Moher, Clare***
Cows grazing in a field abutting the cliff walk at the Cliffs of Moher, Clare. There is an electrified fence to keep the cows in and the people out. The Irish seem adept at managing private property alongside tourist/public sites.
As we walked to the workhouse in Portumna (County Galway) we passed a number of small cottages. This one was almost entirely swallowed by weeds. I had wondered if it was the dreaded Japanese Knotweed, but I don't think so. Whatever it is, nothing can be seen of this cottage, but the chimney. A black bird perched there.
This friendly horse was in a field next to the workhouse in Portumna.
It was quite friendly...I wished I had an apple.
Butterfly in the wildflowers at Birr Castle, Birr, County Offaly.
We are calling "bumble bee," in the perennial border, Birr Castle, Birr, Offaly.
Heron flying over the river, Birr Castle, Birr, Offaly
Ah, honeybee (???) and thistle, along the river walk, Cahir, County Tipperary.
Dove at the Franciscan Abby ruins, Fethard, County Tipperary

NOTES:

* Or so I am going to claim. While I brought my good camera on the trip, we relied on our cell phones. It was more convenient with all the getting on and off the bus and hauling of other gear. There is no question that my better shots are from the 8 days we were "on our own." DH's phone takes great photos. Mine is not quite as good, but is easier to download. I suspect I will be upgrading my phone before the next trip - for the camera. <sigh>

**https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilmacduagh_monastery

***The wind was not as extreme as it can be on the cliffs, but it was still amazing to see the insects managing to maintain at the edge where the wind is strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.