Thursday, July 7, 2016

Nenagh and Moneygall - a couple of detours OR How I found the Baptists.

 
I thought this would be a good photo to introduce Nenagh - something about the wonky cross.


Nenagh* 

I've been here before. I believe I got off the bus here once and then walked and hitchhiked (I used to say "Don't tell my mother!" Now I say, "Don't tell my kids!" It's not that they will follow my bad example, but I suspect I will hear something like, "Mother! What were you thinking?") to friends in a nearby village (down the lanes where I harvested and ate blackberries and shook my head at the condition of a lay-by where some had camped).

Whatever - we are here for Cross Fit. Yup, that's right. I promised to find DH a Cross Fit box and I found one (I love Google) convenient for our little private adventure. [We took a somewhat circular route - if you want to Google map it, you can...Shannon, Gort, Kiltartan Cross, Portumna, Birr, Cashel, Cahir, Bunratty. We had side trips to Nenagh, Monegall, Fethard, and almost to Mitchelstown.]

Of course, we saw no signs as we drove into town. I knew it was supposed to be on the east side of the highway in a gym called the Fitness Factory. We got to the center of town and found huge construction barricades and the streets dug up. We turned around and drove back out the same highway and saw a banner-type sign for the Fitness Factory - on the west side of the road. This was our second experience of the special wild goose chase only Ireland can provide (she types with a smile). We stopped and went in. DH, having emailed earlier, was greeted like an old friend (it's Ireland) and got busy.

I headed downtown.

The cylindrical castle tower (formerly part of the perimeter of the castle) can be found near the city center. There are also ruins of an abbey (of course). On my first trip I seem to remember the tower was unlocked and one could just walk in.  I also remember the climb to the top was scary and I may not have done more than look up. The gate to the castle park was locked so I continued wandering - using the castle as a bit of a guide (I had walked downtown and would be walking back - didn't want to get lost.).

No getting in here.
It is very impressive. Imagine what the entire castle might have been like. Oh, and it was the home of the first of the Butlers of Ormond. [I always wondered how I would get a camera/phone dropped inside a fence. Fortunately it was not necessary to find out.]
Other gates were open - this one at the Nenagh Arts Center. See the fleur-de-lis? The other gate has spear-points.

I found the Arts Center and heard a rhythmic tapping noise. In spite of my fear of heights, I climbed the fire escape (I don't know why. There was no DH to tell me not to? The door was open at the top, so I thought it was open?). I had guessed it was stepdancing and I was correct. A number of young people were at stepdancing practise. The polished wood floor and open door allowed the sounds to echo out to the sidewalk.

I did not intrude. I climbed back down and kept walking down to the monastic ruins.

The larger gate at the Arts Center.
The Arts Center building
I would go to this concert: Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers and Neil Diamond.

The Monastic Ruins in Nenagh:

The Franciscans were here...and gone...and here...and gone...

The old church and churchyard were unique among those I have seen. The clouds and sun cooperated and I had just enough time for a few photos.


Just inside the large gate.





I cannot read this stone, but tried to take photos of the different shaped stones found in this cemetery.

Patrick Anthony Hayes, died 1 Oct. 2004, aged 100.
James Joseph Hayes, died 16 Dec. 1998, aged 86
Noreen McDonagh (Nee Hayes), died 16 Jan. 1997, aged 84,
Beloved wife of John.

The Lord is my Shepherd.
[More is written just above the base, but I cannot make it out.]

In Loving Memory of  Mary Fahey, William St., Nenagh, died 11th May 1923 aged 65 years and of her husband Patrick Fahey, died 7th Feb. 1940, aged 76 years, their son Michael of St. John’s Terrace, Nenagh, died 26 Feb. 1957, aged 73, Noel, son of Michael, Well Road, Nenagh, died June 1952, aged 40, Kathleen, wife of Noel, died 14 May 1997, aged 83. R.I.P.

PVT T. Deane, WWI  casualty? Bears research.

Irish graves are always so interesting...often remembering multiple family members.
Some memorials just go on and on: In loving memory of Michael Delahunty of Nenagh & Limerick, died March 25, 1974 aged 61, his brother James, died Sept. 25, 1962, his parents Con, died Jan. 1, 1950, Maria, died Oct. 23, 1951, His brother Patrick, Carafin Mountrath, died Dec. 29, 1977, aged 73 (?), his sister, Nell, died 15 April 1988, His brother, Con, died 16 July 1988, His daughter Geraldine Collison, died 13 Dec. 2002 aged 62 R.I.P. Erected by his wife and family.
I don't remember seeing these before this trip, but large rosary draped stones were observed in a number of churchyards this time.
Flowers in the cemetery
I love the clouds here.
Grant O Lord Eternal Rest to the souls of James Cleary died 20th Feb. 1903. Winfred Cleary died 11th May 1913. Bridget Cleary died 2nd Jan 1939. Patrick Cleary died 19th Aug. 1940. Michael Cleary died 19th Sept 1947. Marci Cleary died 29th March 1958. Mary Cleary died 12 Jan. 1964 (?). Andy Cleary died 30th Aug. 1969. James Cleary died 9th March 1987.

And the memorial for the Franciscans. Always simple: Brother E.S. Walshe died Nov. 9, 1881, aged 40, Brother J.F. Creedon died Jan. 12 1988 aged 79, Br. Wm. L. Loughnane, died June 28, 1995 aged 78, Also in remembrance of Bro. Jack Casey, died 16 May 1998 aged 54 yrs interred in Cloyne, Co. Cork, Br. J.D. O'Kelly, died 22 Sept. 2008, aged 77 yrs. RIP I am the Way, the Truth and the Life.
Erected by his comrades of the League of Youth to the memory of Paddy Kenny, Grenanstown, who gave his Life for Ireland, June 29th, 1934,  Sweet Jesus have mercy on his soul.

As I scurried back up the streets of Nenagh I did find the Baptists.

Sign for the Baptists - Nenagh Baptist Church, The Hatchery, Connected to the Source of Life
The Church is currently in a storefront.


 Cross Fit:

The madness that is Cross Fit.

Some of these exercises confuse me.
A happy fellow driving on the wrong side of the road.


Moneygall:

Moneygall is famous for two things. President Barack Obama's ancestors allegedly came from here AND, most importantly for us on this trip, there is an Army Surplus store here.

This was my second promised to DH, "I will try and find you a surplus store." And I did.

Moneygall is a small place. Only a few hundred people live here. We exited the motorway, noting Barack Obama Plaza (a large service station and everything else) as we would need gas before we headed south. We would have missed the surplus store - Any Old Thing -  but the owner had put out an oil barrel, with "Army Surplus" handwritten on it, out on the sidewalk. The eagle-eyed navigator spied the barrel just in time.

Later, after a successful shopping adventure for both DH and Mary Murray,** the owner. Mary's family has long made their living in the clothing trade. She was quite a character and had some strong ideas about the economy, education, and young people. We were pretty much in agreement. She also described the unwillingness of some small towns to welcome new people and new ideas - "Ballygobackwards." We have incorporated this into our lexicon.

There is a huge Obama Plaza right on the motorway. I guess the Obama Cafe could not compete.
Take a look at the image on that bar sign.

NOTES:

*http://www.nenagh.ie/places-of-interest/details/nenagh-castle

** An interesting story - Mary's bit is at the end. Like I said, she is quite a character. http://www.irishexaminerusa.com/mt/2011/05/31/stick_it_up_your_whatsit_mr_ob.html

Surplus store:  http://www.armysurplusireland.com/contact-me.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.