Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Neighborhood cats

Some days the cats are on the prowl.

On Monday the neighbor's grey cat was skulking around the yard in the early morning darkness. I saw his figure, just darker than the night as he scooted away in the side yard. I shined the flashlight on him -illuminated, he became a target. Paddy and Scruffy initially registered "prey," "intruder," this creature in their yard, but then they grew bored and walked away with me.

Later we saw a grey and white crossing road. He was far enough away to avoid drawing the attention of the pups.

Later still, on my way to work, a black cat crossed a side street as I cut through the neighborhood, trying to avoid traffic. He hustled away, looking neither right nor left.

And finally, a big fluffy (and filthy) white cat foraging in a trash can turned to watch as I drove by. He seemed a wise one and kept watching until I was long past him.

I thought about Eliot and his attention to cats.*

They are such interesting creatures, sometimes so smart and sometimes incredible odd....and everywhere, if you know how and where to look.

Our Hobbes arrived one day after a walk some 11 or so years ago. This small and scrawny yellow, no longer a kitten, but not an adult, cat followed us home. He walked up to and into the house and drew a comment from DH, "I guess we have a cat."

The old fellow (he's over 15 now) was curled in a ball and trying to nap.
I did not let him.
He did not take well to distraction and went back to sleep.

We often see his relatives wandering the neighborhood - our Hobbes' cousins fairly obvious as they are marked with a bull's eye on the side - but our boy has a home.

NOTES:

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Possum%27s_Book_of_Practical_Cats



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.