Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Dogs and ducks

We ran an errand or two, ate breakfast out* and then loaded up the dogs for a walk.

It felt earlier than it was. Still overcast from a recent cold front, the dim light initially deceived us.

There is a place on this property that I would like to investigate, but the water is high and DH was not in favor.** So we just walked.***

The cool moist morning was perfect. We must have just missed the game as the dogs kept alerting and catching fresh scents. We headed down to the creek. I was last down the trail and I almost missed them.

A nesting pair of Mallards were swimming in the creek, two dogs (retrievers, mind you) and DH stood on the bank, watching. I fumbled with the camera and watched my confused dogs out of the corner of my eye. Then the ducks decided this was too much company and exited stage right.

Fortunately for me, they flew around a bit and I was able to get a few photos of them against the stunning blue sky.

Have I mentioned that it was a lovely morning?

We walked down many trails and climbed up and down the banks of the creek. Three or four planes landed at the airport nearby. Cars roared down the roads bordering the park and dogs barked in the distance.

Old plants have shed their seeds as the seed heads stand empty atop dry stalks or lay empty on the ground while the wild new growth promises a marvelous spring.

I explained to DH that I wanted to "step up" the walks. I need to work on my stamina. On a recent family trip I noticed (and certainly the family noticed) that I could not keep up.**** 

We headed home to engage the rest of this day.


The sun was trying, but the clouds were having none of it. [I could stop with this photo and be happy.]
Paddy and DH were already at the creek. Scruff was behind me. I wanted him to go forward and he did.
Having missed the Mallards in the water, I shot somewhat randomly at the sky as they flew back around.
Cropping discloses the birds - unmistakably waterfowl (quoth my brother).
Another wild shot...
Catches both birds in a clear duck image.
This shot is pretty...
but the birds could be almost anything.
This is just trees against a beautiful sky.
Dogs love the creek path - ducks or no ducks.
Beautiful morning reflections.
The prairie.
Scruffy seems startled as Paddy climbed out of the creek. That water was cold and so no one spent long in the water.
Canine tracks...oh, wait. I know these canines.
I love it when the dogs come running (when called).
The dogs were following some strong scents this morning...
DH says I only take photos of dog "behinds."
So here is Paddy sniffing towards us.

See if this works. Click on the photo. Then view the next four photos as a slide show. I think you may get the impression of the dogs running toward you. Whatever. It is worth a shot.

Paddy 1

Paddy II
Scruffy I
Scruffy II
Dogs at the tree line.
Old fences can be a hazard. This barbed wire is at the top of the creek bank. No one wants to trip here.
Nettle leaves continue to develop (getting ready for me).
Rocks at another part of the creek. I love rocks with holes.
What are we doing? Scruffy was able to walk with me. Paddy has misbehaved at this part of the creek so she was on-leash with DH.

 One, 2, 3, see the fossil...


#1.
#2
#3
DH and Paddy wait at the top of the bank.

Brambles along the creek bank.
Mixed beans/fruit/seed pods.
Little legume (?) on the upper left and who knows what in the orange brown "skins."
More of these crazy things. I call them thorny stars. I will be sure to watch this year.
More rain brings more fire ant mounds.
I almost hate walking some paths as I don't want to crush the wildflower plants already coming out.
I love a floppy eared dog. Just sayin'!
I am no wildlife photographer, but this "little brown bird" was waiting for me.
Closer
I only noticed as he walked towards the gate that, but for his red and black gloves, DH blended into the prairie pretty well.

NOTES:

*We often eat at this restaurant. The food is good and the restaurant is conveniently located. The staff is welcoming. They know us here. And, perhaps the best thing - there are coffee groups that gather here. One of my favorite things about small towns - the gatherings of friends for coffee in the morning. This group was huge and grew as we sat there. I think they were 10 strong as we entered the restaurant. By the time we left over 15 fellows (middle aged to elderly) sat, ate, talked and laughed at  multiple tables pushed together.

**If he may have to drag me out of the creek or call the hospital's helicopter I want him to be "in favor" of my investigation. For a "devil dare" he is a little overprotective of me. Or perhaps he just didn't want to get his feet wet today.

***We stumbled upon two piles of brass - .30-30 and 9 mm shells - abandoned near trails. Once again, folks are shooting guns not allowed on this property. It is frustrating...and disconcerting. I do not want to be "out there" when someone is shooting pistols and/or rifles. I don't really want to be out walking when someone is shooting anything as it is easy for them to mistake the dogs for dangerous and my movement for something they might want to shoot.

The only guns allowed out at this location are shotguns and they only game that can be hunted are doves and ducks.

****Admittedly, I cannot keep up with the longer-legged family members (all of 'em) and I WAS sick. Still, I am not at my best and would like to be before we decide to climb more mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.